I like books they take up a lot of my time.

Thu 28 Jun, 2018 11:28 pm
Sometimes I have a hard time finding a good book & I read every day & usually finish about 2-3 a week being I have a lot of time on my hands more so than most adults my age...

I would like to say there's a couple that have always stood out & are mind openers that I have read more than once & keep reading from time to time.

I would highly recommend to anyone and everyone to read these two considering the time is available to do so.

1. The Black Swan
Nassim Nicholas Taleb
2. Blink : The Power of Thinking without Thinking
Malcom Gladwell

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,815 • Replies: 9
Topic Closed

roger

Thu 28 Jun, 2018 11:42 pm
@MKABRSTI,
I prefer Freakonomics and Super Freakonomisc by Levitt & Dubner over Gladwell. Their two follow on books were mostly rubbish taken from their website or blog, or whatever they used.
glitterbag

Fri 29 Jun, 2018 12:37 am
@roger,
Who voted Roger down???? Jesus H. Christ, he's the one of the most beloved member on A2K. And he's on a freaking book thread....whoever thumbed him down is a massive jerk with no sense of humor. P*&%z
MKABRSTI

Fri 29 Jun, 2018 12:42 am
@roger,
Gladwell's books were inspired by Freakonomics after he read it.
I've read all the Freakonomics.
Great series!
Did you read The two other ones by Levitt & Dubner?
(More recent than Freakonomics & SuperFreakonomics)
MKABRSTI

Fri 29 Jun, 2018 12:43 am
@glitterbag,
Not a Clue I just replied to your post & saw that he had replied to mine as well as you had wrote this reply.
0 Replies

MKABRSTI

Fri 29 Jun, 2018 12:45 am
@glitterbag,
Massive Jerk is a understatement to whoever it was.
It's probably the guy that kept flagging me & got my account banned last time I was on like 6 months ago.
He & another guy called me a liar & trolled me relentlessly & reported me relentlessly til I got banned consistently after I stated "I generally read a book front to back in two days"
glitterbag

Fri 29 Jun, 2018 12:49 am
@MKABRSTI,
Honestly I seldom notice the thumbs feature....but there a few folks who assume they devastate others by thumbing people down.. (like 4th graders)
MKABRSTI

Fri 29 Jun, 2018 12:59 am
@glitterbag,
Isn't that the truth...
There's always going to be a few people out of a group who think & behave in such a manner.
0 Replies

roger

Fri 29 Jun, 2018 01:20 am
@MKABRSTI,
MKABRSTI wrote:

Gladwell's books were inspired by Freakonomics after he read it.
I've read all the Freakonomics.
Great series!
Did you read The two other ones by Levitt & Dubner?
(More recent than Freakonomics & SuperFreakonomics)

Yes. They are When to Rob a Bank, and Think like a Freak. They both read like gleanings from things posted on their blog. They weren't especially thoughtful, and honestly, I felt like they were a cheap way to capitalize on their reputation. I'm sure others will have different opinions.
MKABRSTI

Fri 29 Jun, 2018 01:54 am
@roger,
I thought of the names right after I posted the comment. Haha.
I haven't really checked out their blog all that much but yeah I'd have to agree those two do have more of a blog format to them.
0 Replies