This is about the Enola Gay and the atom bombing of Hiroshima

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2018 06:27 pm
The reason I wanted to post this information is very simple. When I was in the Air Force back in the late 1950's, I was assigned to the Strategic Air Command (SAC), and worked with both conventional and nuclear weapons. This was only 10 years after WWII. My ancestors are from Hiroshima, but I'm third generation American.
My first base after basic training was Travis AFB in California, and my second base was Ben Guerir AFB in Morocco. My last base was Walker AFB in New Mexico where the Enola Gay was based, and the planning of the atomic bombing of Japan was made. I didn't learn this until many years later, but I didn't miss the irony of my personal history and that of my ancestors. I've often wondered if those who made the base assignments knew of my background.
When my wife and I visited Japan in 1982, we visited both Hiroshima and Okayama where my wife's ancestors are from. We were able to meet with distant family members, but our inability to speak fluent Japanese restricted our communication. Since my uncle took my father's ashes back to Japan before WWII, and he's interred at the family cemetery, I gave them a little bit of money to thank them for keeping up the site at the cemetery.
That we used atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki that killed relatives, and my work with similar bombs during my enlistment in the Air Force, I often wondered if there's some kind of karma there. I wholly agree with Truman's use of the bombs on Japan, because it was a different time in our human history. The revisions to the Geneva Convention restricts the killing of civilians which I also support.
I think there are still discussions on the right and wrong of the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombings.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,365 • Replies: 6
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2018 06:34 pm
All I can say is, people do different things in a war than they otherwise would do. Huge numbers of innocent civilians are killed in nearly every war, though not in that great a concentration. When will we ever learn? Perhaps never.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2018 06:43 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
The revisions to the Geneva Convention restricts the killing of civilians which I also support.
The restrictions against deliberately killing civilians are not revisions. They were and still are a part of the Hague Conventions. That's why Nazi leaders who murdered people during the war were hung for their crimes.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2018 09:15 am
@oralloy,
Your knowledge of history is myopic.
oralloy

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2018 02:09 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Which one of us thought that the prohibition against targeting civilians was a revision to "the Geneva Convention" (as if there were only one) instead of being a longstanding provision of the Hague Conventions?
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 17 Jun, 2018 11:14 am
@oralloy,
It should be noted that the A-bombings did not violate the prohibition against targeting civilians, as both A-bombs were targeted at Japanese military power.
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2018 01:23 pm
@cicerone imposter,
As EVER - The History of CIC.
Forest Gump, extravaganza.

Nukes don't exist - Moabs and paper villages...Smile
0 Replies