Natural Beauty: Did I make the right decision for my hair?

Fri 8 Jun, 2018 09:04 am
Naturally my hair is a medium to dark brown color and is hella straight. Like, if I were to get my hair wet and then proceed to brush it while its wet it would stay straight and look like it was straightened with heat for DAYS. Ever since I could remember I always wanted to have curly hair, mainly because my grandmother had unkempt curly hair and I looked up to her a lot. Finally, a few months ago I finally broke down and permed my hair and ever since I ve loved it! I get so many compliments, my hair is voluminous and doesn t stick straight on my head, and honestly look a lot like my grandmother, and I feel a lot my confident, but I can t help but wonder was it the right choice? I m a huge believer in sticking to how our ancestors lived, and that we should continue to love ourselves, our bodies, and use natural products that keep us glowing and healthy. I wash my hair with fermented rice water and face with activated charcoal. I love my curly hair, but did I make the right decision in said "destroying" it? Am I hypocritical for liking my hair the way it is? And what do you think, should I continue to perm my hair or should I let it grow out and embrace the bone straight hair my ancestors gifted me?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 686 • Replies: 2
Topic Closed
No top replies

oralloy

Fri 8 Jun, 2018 09:16 am
Do whatever feels best at the moment. If you want curly hair for now. Go for it. It's not like you are forgoing the ability to ever change back.

Later, if you fell like changing back (or to something else) go for it.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Fri 8 Jun, 2018 12:59 pm
@pachirose,
Quote:
I m a huge believer in sticking to how our ancestors lived, and that we should continue to love ourselves, our bodies, and use natural products that keep us glowing and healthy. I wash my hair with fermented rice water and face with activated charcoal.

You are fooling yourself if you think you are sticking to how "our ancestors" lived. Most of our ancestors had parasites (at least lice) and expected to die before they were 40. Our ancestors cut themselves because they thought it would make them healthy, and sent their daughters into arranged marriages. None of our ancestors posted on the internet.

I don't know if any culture actually used fermented rice water and activated charcoal, but I am sure that no culture had running water or electric light on their flawless bathroom mirrors.

Because you are clearly reading stuff off of the internet, you are living a modern life. You have electricity, and a varied diet, and medical care, and dental care, and synthetic clothing, and automobiles in your life. The reason you are choosing this modern life is because modern life is significantly better than anything our ancestors had.

Most of this "live like our ancestors" stuff is marketing nonsense. Do your hair the way that makes you happy.
0 Replies