Tape recorder

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2005 01:22 pm
I need to tape some poetry readings, and am looking for a tape recorder that emphasizes the higher registers. Obviously quality of speech reproduction is very important, especially with poetry. Currently I have a choice between an old one that reproduces speech very clearly but has a good deal of background noise, or another old one that records very quietly but gives poor clarity of speech.

An additional point to consider is that many of the people who will be listening to these tapes have some degree of hearing loss. (BTW, the tapes to be used are the ordinary kind, not the mini ones.)

I need something that combines the good points of both of these. Am I asking for the moon? Rolling Eyes
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 844 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2005 01:30 pm
Tomkitten - What you need is a tape recorder that comes equipped with an equalizer, so you can kick up the frequencies in the speech range.

I don't know if this is what you want, but it may give you an idea.

http://www.youreq.com/homeeq/audio/digital-recorders/olympus/dm-10.asp
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2005 01:30 pm
Don't have an answer for you, but don't overlook the microphone. No suggestion here, either, but the mike can make or break the recording.

Stoat is the audio guy, and there hasn't been a Stoat sighting in over a year.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2005 03:49 pm
Tape recorder
Phoenix - this seems to be useful for computer recording storage. I need something that records on the normal 60 or 90 minute tapes that can be played back on an ordinary Walkman. But thanks anyway.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2005 04:28 pm
Any standard cassette deck from a home stereo system should be able to reproduce any sound that the human voice can create without any problems at all. Human voice is only a small segment of our hearing range and these decks are designed to recreate the full aural range.

I think the comment Roger made is probably your bigger issue. You need a good quality (directional??) microphone. Matched up with a standard stereo tape deck you shouldn't have any problems.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2005 06:37 pm
Tape recorder
I think I should have been a bit more specific. I need something very portable, the size of a Walkman, actually, because I'm not near a tape deck or any similar equipment when I do these readings.
0 Replies

Michael S

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2005 03:48 am
You may like to have a look at some of the D & M Proffesional range. D & M Proffesional . Many of the products come with software so that you can do editing on your computer later.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2005 08:20 am
Tape recorder
I just need something simple and small - the sort of thing you could take to class, for example, to record the lecture. No editing necessary.
0 Replies

Michael S

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2005 09:02 pm
These are all handheld devices. For much cheeper, go to Yahoo click on the shopping and then type "digital recorder". There are dozens of products that are all suitable. At the low end for 39 US$ from Radio shack I saw one.
0 Replies