20-year reunion...reflecting on the old--er--young days

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 06:26 pm
I didn't know which category to put this in, so I'll try to make it seem like a triva game. Smile

This year marks my 20th anniversary since graduating from high school. Wow! I remember the day I graduated so very well, it seems like, well, it doesn't seem like twenty years ago!

Here's the trivia I'm remembering from back in high school:

1. At the Aldi grocery store, the checkers had the entire store's inventory and prices memorized. There were no price tags used, and no one ever called for a "Price Check." Aldi did not have UPC Scanners back then. In fact, even the large chain stores didn't have scanners in my town (Population 32,900 + a State University).

2. VCRs were not very common. In fact, I can't remember ever seeing one in someone's home. The high school did have a few of them. The schools were still using 16 mm film projectors, 35 mm film strip projectors, VTRs (video tape recorders) and VCRs were new, and not used often.

3. I only knew a handful of people who had a "Touch Tone" telephone. Nobody, and I mean nobody, knew what the "#" and "*" buttons were for.

4. During those years, I saw my first payphone that took 25c to operate.

5. Once, after I'd been in an auto accident, the police officer let me call my home via the telephone in his squad car. This was prior to cellular telephone technology, so I still don't know how it worked (perhaps radio?).

6. At any store (other than grocery), if someone in front of you was paying via credit card, you knew you'd be delayed at least two minutes. If you were in a hurry, you'd go find another lane.

7. Gas stations had Full Serve islands, and the new Self Serve islands, too.

8. The most modern gas pumps had these really cool lighted red numbers, instead of the noisy dials.

9. Back then, when you pumped gas, you could see and read each penny as the fuel pumped into your car. It was harder to keep up with the hundredths of gallons, as those were mostly a blur (on the new electronic pumps).

10. Michael Jackson was a superstar. He was weird then, too, but what a talent!

11. MTV didn't have shows, gameshows, cartoons, or commercials.

I'd like to hear your observations and remembrances, regardless of your generation.

Thanks,

General Tsao
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 703 • Replies: 3
No top replies

duce

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 08:58 am
A bottle opener was a staple kitchen item.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 09:12 am
Cassette tapes were the rage.
Cd's belonged to the elite rich familes.

VCR's were everywhere , just not in schools

Diesel fuel and Leaded gas was what you put in your car.
Your car was a box.
Cellular phones were the size of brief cases
Long hair and torn jeans were the style, not a sign of homelessness
Remote controled home radios were new
Pay phones were still 25c to operate
A computer was something with green letters on the screen and took several hours to work on program.
DOSprograms was part of your daily conversation.
0 Replies

duce

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 09:17 am
Being a Democrate was the Norm in the South.
0 Replies