Beware of the Bird

Letty

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 12:30 pm
A hero of another kind has had his day in court:

http://channels.netscape.com/ns/news/package.jsp?name=news/crime/bird

Hmmmmmm. Makes one wonder about Robert Blake and Baretta.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,004 • Replies: 20
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 12:50 pm
Letty, Now, I've heard everything! That is an amazing story. Thanks for sharing it. c.i.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 01:18 pm
C.I.

My godchild has a cocatoo, and those birds can be vicious; in this case dead birds do tell tales, with a little help from DNA.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 01:55 pm
Photo taken at our hotel in Port Douglas, Australia, March 1999. I had no fear back then, but now, I'll need to give it a second thought. LOL

http://pic3.picturetrail.com/VOL11/869904/inbox/t-77005.jpg

c.i.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 01:57 pm
I have a cockatiel, a miniature cousin of the cockatoo, who can easily take out a large chunk of flesh if frightened. When we first got her she bit me - yeouch!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 02:35 pm
cjhsa and C.I.

I have no indoor pets, but in the pond out back, I have an occasional visit from a rather large alligator we lovingly call Al (from a distance ). Shocked
Even the rather pugnacious moorhens stay clear of old Al...
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 03:17 pm
That sure is quite a story! Letty, I'd stay clear of old Al myself ;-)
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 09:15 pm
Gezzy, it's funny, cause the golfers just play around him. There are really two that frequent that pond out back. One is small. Haven't seen either in a while. I think they go into the canal and through a drainage system over to the intercostal waterway. Those moorhens will get plenty mean when they have babies(just to keep the birds in the mix.) Laughing
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 09:28 pm
i have a Conure, one of the smallest of the true hook billed parrots and when i lived in Mesa Az i knew someone that also had a conure and when someone broke into his apartment the conure drove him away biting and squawking.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 09:47 pm
I'll be going to Peru and the Galapagos Islands on April 30. Do you think I'll see some conures and cocatoos? c.i.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 09:56 pm
LOL Letty!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 11:45 pm
Makes sense, we used to have a neighborhood Guard Duck, named Foxy. Much as I love m'dear Dog, the duck was more specific re human intruders to our spaces...
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 06:25 am
Hi, all.

This may be slightly off thread, but the Chinese used a cricket as a warning device. I received a cricket box as a gift one Christmas, and it included the history. The cricket chirped continually within, but when it stopped, this meant that an intruder was lurking about.

We all know that man, bird, and beast have territorial imperatives, why not insects?

I am certainly no ornithologist, but I am impressed with the various responses.

C.I. Galapagos, huh. Well, perhaps you can add a corollary to Darwin's theory Laughing
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 06:59 am
Letty

What a bird! What a hero.
I'm always moved by stories of creatures' loyalty to their owners.
Did you see the photograph of the loyal dog stoically watching over the body of his slain master in Zimbabwe last year? It moved me to tears.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 07:29 am
Hi,Msolga.

No, I didn't see the picture, but I remember the movie" Greyfriars Bobby". That little terrier lying on the grave of his master was heart-rending.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 12:22 pm
Letty's quote: "C.I. Galapagos, huh. Well, perhaps you can add a corollary to Darwin's theory."

I'll give it my best shot. Wink LOL c.i.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2003 08:32 am
Hi Letty,

I don't see this story as a sign of the bird's viciousness. It's a story of loyalty and protectiveness. And I'm not surprised. When I was a child, we had a parakeet (one of the smaller members of the parrot family). Billie was loyal and loving. When I was very sick, she stayed on my pillow and made a fuss if my parents tried to put her in her cage. When I started school and my mother went to work, we came home to find Billie in my doll carriage. To this day, I believe that she missed us and was looking for a human substitute.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2003 09:47 am
Roberta,

What a sweet story. When my children were young, they adopted a bluejay who had been booted from the nest. We tried putting the little thing in a cage, but that didn't seem to work. I finally released it, and the next day I went outstide to get the paper, and there was Conrad (as the kids called it)...from that point on, all I had to do was to to step outside and say "chee..chee" and here would hop sweet little Conrad whom I would feed. I wish that I could tell you this little anecdote from the past had a happy ending. Alas, no. Crying or Very sad

Hey, Roberta, What's a green-eyed cat doing with a parakeet, anyway? Very Happy
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2003 07:19 pm
"Hey, Roberta, What's a green-eyed cat doing with a parakeet, anyway?"

Hoping it will attract larger birds? Sluuurrrp.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2003 10:48 pm
Hello, Roberta
Lovely to see you again! Very Happy
What a touching story about you & Billie! I loved it & it gave me a wee lump in the throat, remembering all my loyal childhood pets. They were so important, weren't they?
0 Replies