Hitch

Reyn

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 10:33 pm
I'd like to hear from readers who have seen "Hitch". Is it as funny as the clips show it to be? I'm thinking of seeing it soon.

I'm not interested in what the media critics have to say.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,117 • Replies: 22
No top replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 09:27 am
Haven't raced out to see it and have already relegated it to a cable or rental DVD status. The problem you'll always have asking on a forum what one or two members might think of a newly released movie is whether or not you really believe their opinion has any more merit than a reliable movie critic. Ebert gave it **1/2 which is a better than average comedy. What other movies have you seen at the cineplex? There are many good movie playing right now through the Oscars.

For use reviews, you might find some at www.imdb.com. I put very little faith in user reviews.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 10:15 pm
I'm the opposite way. Rarely do I agree with a film reviewed by a film critic. I tend to put more stock in the "average guy" review - right or wrong. I get a better feel for it.

So, anyone seen "Hitch" and would like to give me a quick review?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 09:35 am
What reviewer? I'm not sure how you can rarely agree with a film reviewer who likes the same films you do. If you like bad films I can understand. Who on the boards do you trust to send you to the cineplex?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 09:47 am
If you want reviews by 'ordinary' people, they're here:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0386588/usercomments

6.9 out of 10 is a pretty good rating by what are average movie goers who place review on IMDb.com.

The film is also getting 70% favorable reviews on rottentomatoes.com:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/hitch/

The major reviewers are even in the fresh tomato range. Unfortunately, we don't seem to have a good cross section on A2K of those who rush out to see the big box office hits ("Hitch" is getting the usual good figures that one expects from a Will Smith movie). Looks to me like if you like Will Smith, it's a good date movie. Ebert gave it **1/2 stars which makes it likely one will get some laughs and be enticed by the romantic story even if it's cliche.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 09:52 am
By the way, you can configure IMDb user reviews by Best to Worst reviews and also filter out SPOILERS which will give away too much plot. Most reviews announce there are spoilers at the beginning of the review.

Wish we had more activity on these boards to be of service but we truth is we don't on new movies. Reviews might show up but they're most often weeks after the film's release.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 10:27 am
Watched it last night. Didn't do much for me but the average person is likely to enjoy it more than I did.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 10:33 am
You actually went out to see a movie? I wouldn't expect you to like this type of movie but were there any laughs? (I guess daring anyone on A2K to dare venture out to the cineplex for a first run movie worked but I suspect someone dragged Craven out to see this movie).

I've been remiss in responding to invitations to studio previews as I no longer like to take the trip to LA even if it means I can visit friends there. I will sometimes review the best movies because I will go out to see them based on critic's and my friend's reviews (I can't trust the reviews of my relatives excepting, perhaps, my niece or nephew).
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 10:34 am
One thing I've notice on trailers for comedy films is that they give away the best jokes in the movie. I suspect this is true of "Hitch."
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 11:03 am
BTW, if one wants to see the best comedy of this year or even the past two decades, see "Sideways."
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 05:43 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
You actually went out to see a movie?

Nah, I went out to see a gal, and she happened to want to watch a movie. I slept in her lap most of the time.

Quote:
I wouldn't expect you to like this type of movie but were there any laughs? (I guess daring anyone on A2K to dare venture out to the cineplex for a first run movie worked but I suspect someone dragged Craven out to see this movie).

It had some funny moments and is an interesting movie to watch on a first date. And yeah, any time I go to the cinema it's because company wants to go.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 06:40 pm
Okay, thanks for the info, LW. It sounds like a passable watch. Not an awful lot of good comedies on these days. I did enjoy "The Fockers" though.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 08:40 am
Ah, I didn't rush out to see "The Fockers" as I feel by the time one buys a ticket to the cinema and pays for the snack bar, they can own the movie. This excepts the LOTR movies, or recently "The Aviatior" which demands the big screen. There are also films that just play better in a darkened theater with an audience like "Chicago" or the aforementioned "Sideways." The audience reaction in both were well worth the trip and the price of acmission. A passable watch is delegated to maybe a rental or watching it on HBO or Showtime (I seldom use Pay-Per-View as the $4.00 is only worth it for an occassional attack of laziness and a film that has garnered great reviews and a good word-of-mouth from those I trust to give me a recommendation -- a total of maybe three or four people I know in the industry).

Craven: How'd your new girlfriend watch a movie at her home which is not on DVD? It's only at theaters. A bootlegged copy? I'm puzzled especially as the picture of falling asleep in your companion's lap in a movie theater is rather outre (in a humorous way). I would also have a problem trusting a review! Very Happy
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 09:31 am
I read a review of it that wasn't good but made me want to see it in a general way -- it sounds like it's mostly a vehicle for Will Smith's formidable charm, and that's enough for me.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 09:40 am
Again, the Rotten Tomato meter has it at 68% favorable reviews although A. O. Scott of the NYT just gave it an average review. The critics I've read have agreed with you, sozobe, that Will Smith manages to hold the film together and is always funny, not to mention the King of Queens Kevin James (a stand-up comedian par excellance, BTW).

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/hitch/

Hey, Will Smith even made "The Wild Wild West" watchable solely for his adept comic performance.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 09:49 am
(I think Craven's new girlfriend also had really good weed, and put "Bad Boys" on the DVD player"). Very Happy
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 02:47 pm
Fockers was the last movie I'd been dragged to, I don't like cinema at all.

Lightwizard wrote:

Craven: How'd your new girlfriend watch a movie at her home which is not on DVD? It's only at theaters. A bootlegged copy? I'm puzzled especially as the picture of falling asleep in your companion's lap in a movie theater is rather outre (in a humorous way). I would also have a problem trusting a review! Very Happy

LOL.

Nah neither girlfriend or bootleg, just friend and at the theater.

'Twas uncomfortable (I would go to the movies more if they had recliners).
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 03:18 pm
Ya big baby! Of course, girls will tend to pick out a chick flick. I do like Will Smith as a personality and he's usually always good at comedy so I suppose I might relent and see it at a theater. And if you want to see some big action flick that at least will keep you awake, they will complain. My friends will almost always coax me into going to the art theater and see some serious cinema. "House of Flying Daggers" was the last one and I'm glad they did convince me to go (well, it didn't take too much effort) and afterwards we ended up at the Blue Water Grill in South Coast Village for brandy and appetizers. I think I cleaned them out of seared Ahi and Remy (I'm glad they were paying as the vintage Remy Martin was a whopping $15.00 glass...erk!)

Tonight is movie night here with hot wings, cheese, and a nice Pinot Noir. We're watching "Dark City."
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 03:20 pm
I'd rather watch a "chick flick" than most action films.

I tried to watch Dark City recently but was distracted by work.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 05:24 pm
Just talked to two friends who went to see it. They both think it's a great Kevin James vehicle, not so much a great Will Smith film. That matches what the group that went from work on Thursday said.

Ya need to come up here, Craven. We've got recliners at quite a few of the local theatres. I think it's about $2 extra for the premium seating. They bring your beverages and snacks to you as well. Nice service.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Hitch
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/28/2024 at 09:46:14