help me to break my puppy's habit of going after cars

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 08:29 am
I have a 5 month old border collie puppy, named Jake. When ever I take Jake out for a walk all he wants to do is chase cars. He gets down really low on the ground, studies them, then tries to get them. I have tried just about everything. He is only interested in the cars, he does not care if there are other dogs in the park playing, he is not interested in treats. He will sit there and just watch the cars drive by. I have tried the prong collar, and I am using the volt type collar now, and neither have worked. I am at my wits end, any suggestions?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,465 • Replies: 5
No top replies

duce

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 08:35 am
Do you have a car?

Take him for a ride, expose him to cars.

Try ending the curious or fearful nature. Apparently he sees cars as something that should be shoo'ed away.
0 Replies

merelymemer

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 08:51 am
He loves going for car rides. Some one mentioned to me that he may be "herding" the cars, since it is what border collies do.
0 Replies

duce

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 09:11 am
That could well be true. He may be trying to play with the cars as well. The noise could also be a factor.

If you have time, you may have to work with him along TRAINING lines. He will have to learn to SIT, STAY and WALK 1st. You may have to RIDE him to the park and start these commands there.

I have found a water gun effective in training, (if he does not like a spat on the nose w/H20). Once these commands are effected. You can take him to the corner and make him sit, while cars go by.

Sometimes Dogs chase cars because they are territorial. The Meter Reader comes in HIS yard, then leaves (viewed as intruder). His behavior makes him feel BIG & Bad.

Sorry, but it's a long haul especially as you say since "it's in his nature". Maybe a professional trainer could help. Ask the VET if he knows of a community school you can go to.
0 Replies

merelymemer

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 09:47 am
Thank you for your help.

He is such a good dog. He sits and stays on command, however it is just the walking thing.

Thanks again
0 Replies

Mrs LD

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2005 09:03 am
Out here in the Country all the Dog's seem to chase car's. Last night on my way home from work one surprized me & came out of nowhere..Our dog is free to roam during the winter but not during Gardening season. He will chase us but stay's off the road. He will run on the edge of it. He chased us for 6 miles pretty much keeping up with us. We went 20 mph to see how long he would last. We left him behind for the last mile.
0 Replies