Why does this Asian speaking lady keep calling me?

Linkat

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2018 09:11 am
I keep getting this robo call but I have no clue what the heck she is calling me about.

It is not English - it is definately some sort of Asian language - why is she calling me? It is a New York exchange.

Number is 212-244-2928.

On doing a search for the phone number I find it is a business that has closed:
Nation Design
152 W 36th St Rm 806
New York, NY 10018

Do you think she got accidentally locked in when they closed up shop and she is seeking help to get out?

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2018 09:12 am
@Linkat,

https://www.whitepages.com/phone/1-212-244-2850

can you block the number?
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2018 09:16 am
@Linkat,
The 212 area code is clearly a hacked number. I believe that everyone in my immediate office was called by that particular robocall campaign.

I wouldn't take it personally. Not much to do but ignore it.
Linkat

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2018 09:16 am
@Region Philbis,
It is my work number - but how the heck are they going to con me when I don't even know what they are saying?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2018 09:17 am
@tsarstepan,
Do you think it is dangerous to try to talk to the spam - I love doing that sort of stuff.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2018 09:21 am
@Linkat,
It's a robocall (as far as I understand it). Not sure if dangerous is a valid assessment. Might be one sided if you start responding to it. Then again? I have no idea. Always hang up next to immediately.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2018 09:24 am
@Linkat,

just make sure you don't say "yes"...
ehBeth

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2018 09:56 am
@Region Philbis,
We get fairly regular emails at work about not responding to robocalls. We've also been asked to report any that get through to IT so they can block the numbers at the pre-switchboard level.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2018 10:02 am
@Region Philbis,
I wonder how that would apply to the law firm I work at. At least four of us received robocalls from a Chinese language bot on each of our separate work numbers.

I'm sending that article to my manager as she was the only one to also get this on her cell phone. She's the type to try and use the Don't call back option provided by the robocall.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2018 10:05 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

We get fairly regular emails at work about not responding to robocalls. We've also been asked to report any that get through to IT so they can block the numbers at the pre-switchboard level.

We get plenty of emails regarding not to respond to odd LinkedIn emails and other suspicious emails. I don't remember any warnings about robocalls. I wonder how to breach this with our IT.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2018 10:16 am
@Region Philbis,
I am reading this and this is my work phone - my work cell phone so if anything work would be charged.

I don't understand though if you answered yes and never gave a credit card number how your credit card would be charged. Phone bill perhaps, but how would they know your credit card number.
Linkat

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2018 10:19 am
@ehBeth,
To be honest - blocking has little impact. These scam robo calls change numbers that they are calling from frequently sometimes even using your own phone number...yes I have looked at my phone to see what number is calling me only to see that same phone number apparently calling itself.

I do not answer calls I do not recognize from my home number, however, as I do not know all the numbers that I expect to get calls from for work I answer each call.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2018 10:52 am
@Linkat,

theoretically, they already have both your name and your credit card number when they make the call.

if i were you i would not pick up the phone unless i recognize the number... if it's legitimate, they will leave a message...
Linkat

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2018 11:11 am
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

theoretically, they already have both your name and your credit card number when they make the call.

if i were you i would not pick up the phone unless i recognize the number... if it's legitimate, they will leave a message...

At work? And if she had my name and credit card - robo would probably realize I am not of Asian descent so would not be in a position to answer as such.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2018 01:40 pm
The Asian speaking lady called me four times. Then no more.
Blickers

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2018 12:20 am
@Roberta,
Quote Roberta:
Quote:
The Asian speaking lady called me four times.

These Asian phone scam operations get more sophisticated all the time.

0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2021 08:03 am
I am still getting these calls ! Crazy huh
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2021 09:52 am
@Linkat,
Do you use a Chinese app for communication? My wife was in China for work and everyone was using Whats App for texting so she signed up for it. Now she gets Chinese robo calls all the time. Or it could be the bicycle rental app she signed up for.
Linkat

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2021 12:30 pm
@engineer,
I do have WhatsApp we use in case for some reason we lose electricity or some other reason we can’t get online to reach our work team or for some other reason after hours.

But I am pretty sure these calls happened prior to using WhatsApp

Might be something via work though as I originally used this phone for work and we are international.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Why does this Asian speaking lady keep calling me?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 09:50:41