Possible Scam

gollum

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 05:40 am
I received an e-mail that offers me a free Bible. However, I must provide my birthdate (month-day-year). My Social Security number is not requested.

Is this a scam? What can a scamster do with a birthdate without the corresponding social security number?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 536 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 06:06 am
I have an attitude towards solicitors of all types. If I have not ordered it, I don't want or need it.

I don't know if this is a scam, or just a ploy to get you on a list. If you order the Bible, I would bet that you will be on every religious mailing list in creation. You will probably start getting spam up the wazoo. The fact that they want your birthday sends up a red flag for me.

Besides, if are a person who is interested in bibles, I would suppose that you have one already. If not, why don't you just go out and buy one?

Remember, "There is no such thing as a free lunch"!
0 Replies

smog

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 06:46 am
If it's on the internet, it's a scam.
0 Replies

Don77

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 08:00 am
Basically unless you request a service or product, someone looking for your information has no business asking for it plain and simple. Whether in be on the internet or otherwise. Plenty of phone scams to be leary of aswell.

God I love the DELETE button!!!
0 Replies