ummm, 10 watts is equal to...? i say 1 volt, what do you guys say? check here
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,207 • Replies: 18
No top replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 11:40 pm
Power in watts is the product of the voltage and the current (in a purely DC circuit). It's only slightly more complicated when talking about AC. But to say 10 watts is equal to 1 volt, is meaningless.
0 Replies

electricelectric

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 11:42 pm
so... i need to power up something that require 10 watts, what do i use?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 11:44 pm
Well, look who dropped in.

Your own link gives you the clue, electric. Their conversions of amps to watts are based on a constant voltage.
0 Replies

electricelectric

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 11:48 pm
ohhh lol, sorry guys im sooo stupid, so how much power would i need to power 10 watts at 4 amps? amps is this symbol right? http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/images/ohm.gif
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 11:56 pm
I think you are confusing amps and ohms Electric.

Is the thing you want to power a speaker?

Wilso! Good to see you around.
0 Replies

electricelectric

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 11:56 pm
oops i mean http://img61.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img61&image=amp5wm.png
0 Replies

electricelectric

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 11:57 pm
it is to power a speaker
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 12:24 am
electricelectric wrote:
ohhh lol, sorry guys im sooo stupid, so how much power would i need to power 10 watts at 4 amps? amps is this symbol right? http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/images/ohm.gif

That's the symbol for ohms, which is the unit of resistance.

P-Power in Watts
E-Voltage in Volts
I-Current in Amps
R-Resistance in Ohms

P=E*I
P=I^2*R
P=E^2/R
E=I*R

etc etc etc
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 03:59 am
I think the original poster is simply trolling the board. Nobody could be that stupid. (Could they?). Look how he/she just keeps asking more and more deliberately dumb questions like the Omega one for example.

DON'T FEED THE TROLL.
0 Replies

electricelectric

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 04:46 pm
ok, ok, ok, all i need to know is whether this will work or not

CHECK HERE
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 05:32 pm
No. What you are trying to do is simply wrong. You do not power speakers with a battery.

The signal to power the speakers must come from an amplifier. There is an amplifier in your mp3 player. Your mp3 player also has its own batteries. If you connect the right speakers to your mp3 player you will get sound from them. But the sound is not very strong (as presumably your mp3 player is designed for low power earphones).

There is no way to improve on this unless you connect another amplifier. The other amplifier would have another battery (or be connected to the wall) and would connect to your speakers.

So connecting a battery to an amplifier is a good thing and can produce a loud sound on external speakers with you mp3 player. The amplifier should be designed to go with the power of the speakers.

Connecting a battery to speakers will never work. That's not what speakers do.
0 Replies

electricelectric

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 08:51 pm
so... any idea of making something like that?
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2005 03:07 am
I followed your link and saw the suggested circuit. Maybe the extra battery will cook the output stages of the mp3 player...

You want a feeble mp3 player to operate those speakers, right? You're right about needing some extra power from somewhere, but that battery ain't the solution.

Get some powered speakers. They cost about $15. I have some for listening to my mp3 player when I don't feel like wearing head phones. One speaker has a little stereo amplifier inside, powered by 4 A cells. (2 cells in each speaker case) Or you can power it from a wall wart if you are in a house.

Your ideas make me think that you are someone who is interested in electricity, but who does not know anything about it at all. Like me when I was 11 years old. So may i suggest that, like I did, you take physics class at school, join a library (does your school have one?) read electronics magazines and learn some basic principles. My school had a Radio Club.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2005 09:20 am
I agree with contrex. If all you want is to hear music, spending $15-$20 at your local Walmart is the easiest (and even cheapest) solution.

Building your own amplifier requires a little experience with electronics. This is a great project if you are interested in learning.

Here is a webpage I found with a specific design for a do-it-yourself amplifier As you can see it involves putting together parts and using tools which can be a bit difficult if you have never done it before.

I would suggest you find someone with experience to help you. There is nothing here that is dangerous, but the technique is difficult and if you are starting out, you don't want to frustrate yourself.
\
Also as any of us hackers know, you need to understand the risk to your mp3 player. I burned out my share of stuff in my day and it goes with the territory.
0 Replies

electricelectric

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2005 08:51 pm
awww, i just want to use what i've got... but im afraid of putting a little more juice in my MP3, coz what if... *BOOM* yea... at least im getting sound out of 2 speakers only...
0 Replies

electricelectric

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 08:28 pm
CLOSE THIS TTOPIC PLEASE
0 Replies

electricelectric

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 08:28 pm
CLOSE THIS TTOPIC PLEASE
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 01:38 am
Why? You started it, but you don't *own* it... Did you get your powered speakers yet?
0 Replies