GARDENERS--Give me a name for a low invasive decorative ground cover plant

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2018 04:22 pm
Im trying to plant segments of ground covers all over and have one patch of Hosta (mid to tall plants that spread by clumps and seed). and Ajuga, (low colorful flowered plant that likes shade)

ANY advice from personal experience is great. We like color, fast spreading, sun an shade mixes. We live in USDA (new) designation of a 7A cold hardy zone.
(Thoose who dont believe in Global Warming should tell the plants that they dont know that theyre all wrong)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 8 • Views: 431 • Replies: 13

View best answer, chosen by farmerman
jespah

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2018 04:33 pm
@farmerman,
Pachysandra?
farmerman

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2018 04:39 pm
@jespah,
We have a blight and a fungoidy thing goin on with pachysandra's. Our gradual conversion to more of a banana belt climate has offered some challenges as well as opportunities.
Penn State came out with a notice about getting rid of pachysandra in the mid Atlantic.
It woulda been a first choice had we not lost a whole boatload of the dear little plants.
I must add that I WILL NOT ABIDE IVY. I am ivy intolerant. Thats a plant that, once it gets hold, will uproot entire buildings
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2018 04:54 pm
@farmerman,
The ivy I plant here freezes to death most winters, unless I keep it in a pot and bring it in at times. I had some that made it for two years and spread in lots of places, but this past winter killed it all.
0 Replies

ekename
  Selected Answer

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2018 07:26 pm
Creeping phlox.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2018 09:22 pm
Gold dust for sunny place.

Scotch and Irish mosses for mottled sun area.

0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2018 02:38 am
I call mine "Honey! Those $%^##@*& weeds are back!"
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2018 04:58 am
thanks , Ive looked up a few and theyre interesting. Im gonna head over to Ken's Nursery today ( a native plant plant dealer in Smoketown), and see whether he has any of these
PUNKEY

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2018 06:37 am
@farmerman,
The GoldDust is the mecardonia hybrid, grows 2-5 inches high - not the evergreen plant.
farmerman

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2018 01:49 pm
@PUNKEY,
I had to look up that name to see what the family is like. Does it spread fairly quickly? I have lots of room for various color masses.
0 Replies

Pamela Rosa

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2018 02:21 pm
Verbena 'Homestead Purple'

farmerman

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2018 03:57 pm
@Pamela Rosa,
i like the colors of verbenas they dont do well for us, they poop out after 2 years
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2018 07:39 pm
Yes, the Gold Dust spreads in a mound.

ground phlox comes in many colors- pink, white, purple, blue. Likes sun. Looks great around rocks. Grows about 6” high in mounds.
farmerman

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2018 07:08 pm
@PUNKEY,
planted around 25 creeping phlox, very pink pink, and bright white. made two large masses and then clipped em off with a mass of liriope . Next to it all is a planting of bue russian sage and another deeper blue sage.

Will need a year or more to fill in.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » GARDENERS--Give me a name for a low invasive decorative ground cover plant
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 03:28:10