Diana Krall in Paris

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2003 04:48 pm
That's the title of Krall's new CD from a live performance in Paris. Krall as become one of my favorite jazz vocalist, keeping up the tradition of past greats like Chris Conner, Anita O'Day and June Christy. She could easily have been picked to sing with the Kenton band. I find her turn of a lyric has emotional potency as well as inventive jazz intonations -- her piano is pretty wicked, too. Any other Krall fans out there?

Anybody missed in the poll, let me know. This should be singers still performing in the last fifty years to really qualify as modern jazz.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,453 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2003 10:25 pm
Rebecca Paris.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2003 11:56 pm
Haven't any of her CD's but I've heard her on my cable jazz channel. I guess I need to own some as she is marvelous. I'll add her to the list.
0 Replies

seaglass

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2003 01:47 am
How in the world was Maria Muldar overlooked.

Saw her perform in Volcano Hawaii about three months ago.

60, sassy and still belting out the blues.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2003 12:17 pm
There you go, seaglass but I will run out of room on the poll if we go into blues singers! "Midnight at the Oasis" is certainly a classic.
0 Replies

seaglass

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 02:02 pm
Glad you put her on the list LW, Maria M. sang "midnight at the oasis" at the concert and it just went up and down my spine. A buch of us ran into her later at the "Hot Ponds" in Pahoa and talked to her. I used to see her around the West Village (her hometown) inthe 70's.

thanks,
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 03:56 pm
I have tried to listen to Diana Krall, but I have trouble getting through a whole song of hers. She seems incredibly low-energy and the same in every song. Sort of like Norah (Snorah) Jones. I've seen pictures of Krall and she is posing seductively and I figured she got a leg-up in the business because she is a babe.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 04:13 pm
Well, I miss Nina Simone. Not only, because her 70th birthday has been some days ago, but I like her really.

Diana Krall - actually, I don't like her so much that I would listen a complete concert. Some tracks, that's really okay.
0 Replies

zenithca

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 04:56 pm
fyi
hello

i was listening to an interview with anita on NPR. she really didn't care for kenton's band which is why she left after a year. also, christy and conner both said how they followed in HER foot steps. krall definitely doesn't have the energy that anita does... which is why i would agree with your comment that krall could have belonged in kenton's band. what's wonderful about anita is her rhythmic energy.... that's why she's my favorite.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 05:14 pm
Hi, zenithca and Welcome to A2K!

I agree -- O'Day originated the style and Kenton was a notorious task master who did not want his sheep to stray. O'Day's lyrical intonations are legendary -- styling that is at once contemporary and does not age.
Only one to really match here, in my opinion, is Carmen McRae.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 07:12 pm
Diana Krall is simply too icy for my taste. There is no heat in her performance. She literally leaves me cold. She was very heavily pushed by the CBC here for years. Thanks, but no thanks.

Patricia O'Callahan http://www.marquisclassics.com/artists/ocallaghan_bio.html
can bring spark to jazz vocals in a way Diana Krall can't even imagine. She even made me like Sondheim, which was a huuuuuuuuge push.
Quote:
Her crystalline voice is capable of conveying drama, melancholy or playfulness

Some of the work Maria Muldaur has recently done with Stony Plain Records
http://www.stonyplainrecords.com/sprecord/artists/muldaur.html
is simply spine-tingling. Richland Woman Blues quite literally shook me up the first time I heard it.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2003 12:21 am
I certainly don't get an icy quality to Krall's vocals -- I think they are sensual and provocative interpretations of the lyrics. In several renditions, she is conveys an aching romanticism and she breaths out the lyrics in what I can only call effortless sonority. Not to mention she is a consumate jazz pianist. Actually I've only heard one other singer get so personally involved with the lyrics and that's Jack Jones in his prime. One could say Sinatra but I find Sinatra indulged often in to many mannerisms that were a little forced.

Patricia O'Callahan is also a great vocalist but her stylistic approach is entirely different from Krall. I also like her recordings. A good suggestion to add another O'Callahan CD to the collection!

I'lll check out the Muldaur recording as I've always liked her singing.
0 Replies

beeshep

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2003 03:29 pm
..for a really great singer try Shelby Lynne:

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/shopping/146065/amg1921145275_1617.jpg?rm_____D2mdT7JiQ

http://shopping.yahoo.com/shop?d=product&id=1921145275&clink=dmmu-ks/shelby_lynne/ctx=mid:2,pid:1921145275,pdid:2,t:1,ht:,pos:9,date:20030901,srch:kw
0 Replies

Palito

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 05:27 pm
DIana Krall all the way
She's Sexy, got a great voice, good looking, too bad she's married to Elvis Costello (Dork from the 80's Punk Rock Scene . . . .)
Ther eis no justice un life . . ..r eally
Ohh well . . . .
Keep un listening, enjoy the music.

Pal
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 06:45 pm
A couple of things: Ernestine Anderson,Eva Cassidyand Cassandra Wilson are all fabulous new talents. Alas Cassidy died recently, but check em out. Also Carly Simon did a couple of good albums of standards. And Natalie Cole can swing with the best of them.
You might not believe this but I heard Norah Jones on Marian McPartland's Piano Jazz show and she was fabulous; singing nothing but good ol' standards.
I loved O'Day with Gene Krupa and I have trouble warming up to Krall. Thas all...great thread.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 04:52 am
I bought her new album: The Girl in the Other Room.

Certainly sounds like she's married the Elvis Costello. It's not bad, but lord knows it's not that good.
0 Replies