Holographic Monitors

stuh505

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 12:33 pm
I attended a holography conference last evening which got me thinking.

A hologram can contain a small animation viewable from different angles (or no animation) but it's content is statically formed at creation. It costs a few thousand dollars to make a good one.

However, using advanced computer programs and a dynamically modifiable diffraction grating from something like an electric field as used in "Privacy Glass" I think a hologram could be constructed which is dynamically reflecting 3D data input.

This would allow 3D monitors which could project 3d objects in real time, for instance your desktop could be a 3d environment...and everything in your monitor could appear 3d in fact...this would be pretty cool for 3d modellers like myself too.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,100 • Replies: 5
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 03:34 pm
Basically, you just need separate input for each eye. I would imaging that VR goggles we be feasible before 3D monitors.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 07:18 pm
yes you need different input for each eye to see a 3d image...but VR technology has been around for decades and is not very exciting...i am talking about holograms which have always been static this would be an incredible jump into scifi technology...

a hologram uses a diffraction grating which is physically etched into the glass by film exposure which allows light to be projected into a real 3d image often up to 20 feet inward or outward, it does not require using special glasses or anything...this could be done on a computer to produce monochromatic 3d images like you see in star wars except that it comes out of a pane of glass

edit -- so with a conventional hologram the diffraction grating is developed by film and can only recreate that original 3d scene, but if you could dynamically control the diffraction grating pattern you could then dynamically control the hologram...a computer program which was programmed to simulate the diffractive properties of light could programmatically calculate the necessary diffraction grating for any image based on streaming 3d input, and then build this diffraction grating

by using polarized molecules in the glass, a very fine network of wires could be used to create localized small magnetic fields which would orient the molecules uniformly making the glass transparent (instead of opaque) in these regions, thus creating a dynamic diffraction grating..

edit - this computer program would need to be done directly in hardware as a special kind of graphics card for these monitors due to the intense calculations on the fly
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 07:50 pm
There are already some "sorta" holographic systems out there but the real deal is still a long way away. Even further away are systems that actually create a dynamic hologram in mid air. 20 years at least and they will be hugely, grossly, expensive for a few decades after that.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2005 05:14 pm
ironically it was brought up in my neural networks class today that research is being done to make possible the exact idea i have proposed here

edit -- i should say, in an attempt to make possible. im not sure on the specifics but i know that a traditional hologram has resolution of half a wavelength of light. whether that high of resolution is necessary to create a hologram, and what resolution we can do now, I'm not sure
0 Replies

neil

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 10:43 pm
Moving holograms with low detail can be produced with 3 lasers converging in mid air. High detail, smooth motion and low flicker requires very high band width. Even worse; persons viewing the hologram are in slight danger of eye damage unless the image brightness is very dim. Neil
0 Replies