Austin bombings

engineer

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2018 05:36 pm
@edgarblythe,
My understanding is that a "terrorist" is someone who uses terror/violence to influence a change in society at large (even if that is only indirectly their intent). A person sending out random bombs is certainly a murderer and likely a psychopath, but I can't see terrorist.
chai2

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2018 05:59 pm
@engineer,
I think they called him a terrorist because so many people wanted him to be called that. Not for any good reason, but because it’s the fashion.

Like I said before, whatever you call him, he still made some people dead, others injured, and changed still more peoples lives.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2018 06:19 pm
I think they are pushing back against the media for describing white criminals differently than blacks and Muslims.
Lash

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2018 06:20 pm
@engineer,
It was suspected that black activist families were being targeted, but I think that notion was disabused.

chai2

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2018 07:26 pm
@Lash,
Yes, right off the bat.

The bombings took place over a wide spread area, over different neighborhoods, and in the case of the 2 men that tripped a wire of a package on the street, it didn't matter who had found it.

Men, women, black, white, hispanic.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2018 07:38 pm
@edgarblythe,
I get that and if this guy were a Muslim fundamentalist instead of a Christian one, we would be getting completely different coverage. Still, if we are going to fight terrorism, we need to know what it is and is not.
chai2

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2018 08:17 pm
@engineer,
I’m not sure if the “average” American really cares.

I hear the word thrown around so much it seems to basically mean “I don’t like that”.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Austin bombings
  3. » Page 3
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 06:25:17