Got + object + past participle

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2018 11:01 pm
When do you use the structure "got + object + past participle" as in "you got me worried" or "you got me confused"?

Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 980 • Replies: 2
No top replies

centrox

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2018 04:04 am
@paok1970,
paok1970 wrote:
When do you use the structure "got + object + past participle" as in "you got me worried" or "you got me confused"?

Everywhere: in casual speech. Note the differences between US and British English regarding past tense usage - In spoken American English, it is very common to use the simple past tense as an alternative in situations where the present perfect would usually have been used in British English.
camlok

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2018 12:01 pm
@centrox,
Quote:
In spoken American English, it is very common to use the simple past tense as an alternative in situations where the present perfect would usually have been used in British English.

Many [most??] of these situations are the result of compressed speech with the 'have' being reduced to <'ve> then even further in faster speech where it becomes, almost to what sounds like or can sound like a totally unvoiced <'ve>.

There is also a distinction made between I've gotten, meaning "acquired or come into possession of" and I've got, meaning the same as I have.

The closeness of these sounds and meanings may result in a quicker death for the irregular verb form 'gotten'. Irregular verb forms are doomed to die because they are a vestige of a dead form of English. There are no new irregular verb forms being created because the rule for modern English is add 'ed'.
0 Replies