The Texas state trooper who arrested Sandra Bland, a 28-year-old black woman from suburban Chicago who was found hanged in her jail cell three days after being taken into custody in July, is facing perjury charges and will soon likely lose his job.
Trooper Brian Encinia was indicted by a grand jury Wednesday on a charge stemming from Bland’s routine traffic stop on July 10. After the announcement, the Texas Department of Public Safety said it “will begin termination proceedings to discharge him from the department.”
Encinia stopped Bland for failing to signal when she was changing lanes in Prairie View, Texas. A dashboard camera video that was released later showed that the conversation between Bland and Encinia escalated quickly. He asked her to exit her vehicle and pointed a Taser at her. He then took Bland to the side of the road, which wasn’t visible in the footage. She was arrested and three days later was found dead in her Waller County Jail cell.
This happened years ago. What is the name or your planet?
Sat 17 Mar, 2018 04:41 pm
Although he was indicted back in 2016 the perjury charge was ultimately dropped. He was however fired and Bland's family has filed a wrongful death suit, in part to gain information which is being kept from them.
Bland's family has filed a wrongful death suit, in part to gain information which is being kept from them.
Tons of money in victim hood, real or supposed.
Mon 19 Mar, 2018 07:02 am
I think this just another way the media keeps race in the news and opens old wounds to cry racist again.
It's important to keep this in the media because it's wrong. You wouldn't believe the mistreatment blacks get from law enforcement. "Driving while black" is one of the leading causes of death these days... (exaggerated for effect)watch some of these and tell me it doesn't get you angry.
Soooooooooooo many more that it's ridiculous. Leave you with this:
When the police stop racially profiling people and start following the law and enforcing the actual law (not their own personal opinions) then we can discuss the media keeping it alive. Right now, they are just bringing us the news.
When the police stop racially profiling people and start following the law and enforcing the actual law (not their own personal opinions)
Where did you hear that about police and what makes you think it is true? A few and far between examples hyped to death by the media? The vast majority of police just do a job nobody wants to do, and they do it to the best of their ability.
Remember "hands up , don't shoot" was a LIE.
"Few and far between"? I take police accountability very seriously and trust me when I say that it is not few and far between. It's only the egregious examples that make the news.
I will agree that it is not every cop though. Most cops do their jobs and go home at night. The 20% or so of shitty cops destroy any and all goodwill put forth by the other 80%.
When I was a kid, cops were people that actually wanted to help you. Today, I tell my kids that only in the very last resort should they call the cops. All they want to do is find a reason to arrest you. Cops do not make things better today. I've seen more than enough evidence of this.
I take police accountability very seriously and trust me when I say that it is not few and far between. It's only the egregious examples that make the news.
And you cannot see the hyperbole attached to these egregious examples by the media? I can. I just do not see the racism you do and I have to question if you would have formed that opinion if it was not drilled into you everyday by a media that has no intention of having a serious conversation about it.
You didn't watch the videos, did you? Not much hyperbole in the camera lens.
Mon 19 Mar, 2018 03:22 pm
When I was a kid, cops were people that actually wanted to help you. Today, I tell my kids that only in the very last resort should they call the cops.
Oddly, my experience is the other way around. In the 1950s, 60s and 70s British cops were much more likely to be on the take, to be racist, to fabricate evidence to get convictions, to form corrupt relationships with gangsters, etc, than they are nowadays.
Mon 19 Mar, 2018 03:24 pm
What is the problem with the Castile case (one of the ones you linked)?
If a cop is yelling at me to keep my hands visible and not reach for the gun, the last thing I'm going to do is reach and grab for something that he can't see.