Has your taste in music changed?

Reyn

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2005 09:34 pm
So, has your taste in music changed over the years as you've grown older?

My favorite music always seemed to be rock that I heard in the mid to late 60's and the 70's. I'm a babyboomer born in 1951, so that was the music I grew up with.

I'm sure most people my age can remember where they were when the Beatles first played on the Ed Sullivan Show. The Beatles were favorites for many young people during that period in time.

For me, there were also talents like:
  • The Rolling Stones
  • The Who
  • The Moody Blues
  • The Jefferson Airplane
  • The Mamas and the Papas
  • Santana
  • Procol Harum
  • Pink Floyd
  • and too many more to mention!

Now, don't get me wrong. I still feel these are among the rock greats, but I find myself more interested in other forms of music these days. I've discovered that I have developed a keen interest in some forms of jazz.

I frequently have my favorite radio station playing in the background while I'm on the computer, and pay more attention when a jazz piece is playing. This seems to have happened subtly over the past year. The funny thing is that I would never have given jazz a second listen to when I was younger.

Anyone else experiencing anything similar?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,769 • Replies: 35
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2005 09:49 pm
Yes. I am a decade older than you, and was twelve when Bill Haley's Rock Around the Clock hit the popular music stations in Chicago... which means that I was also hearing regular ballads and big band music on other stations, so I liked some big band and jazz before I liked rock. I got fairly tired of what I thought of as bubblegum rock music and was thrilled when fm came into being and what I thought of as more interesting rock was played. I also liked blues, r&b, jazz, preferably latin jazz. and once in a while some classical.

I had a watershed event happen with our house remodel - the loud playing of top 40 (whatever) rock, for several months, keeping our main helper happy. While I love many of the cuts - oh, some Joe Cocker, the Animals, for example - I just can't listen to much of it any more, those few months killed my pop rock receptors. That was in the 90's.

Also, earlier than that, sorry folks, around about the time of The Eagles, I started to tune out, yaaack. Most of what I did like in rock was pre-Eagles.

In the meantime, I got all busy with school and work, and stopped being so glued to the radio. When I did check in, I started trying to pick up the classical stations.. usually the npr type stations that would also play 'world music'.

I remain a doofus (doof-a?) on classical, but I am still interested in it. Have even opened my ears to opera, which I spent some years shunning...
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2005 09:53 pm
I know this is going to sound funny but I really liked classical as a kid and later on liked rock and roll, jazz, r&b, country and western.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2005 09:56 pm
Hasn't really changed, as much as expanded. While I used to listen to pretty much only heavy metal and rap, now I'm pretty much all over the board.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2005 09:57 pm
Well, I started out with the usual fare. Rock and Pop for the most part in the 60's and 70's, Beatles, Stones, Hendrix, Motown.

Disco in the 80's and the inclusion of classical, brought on by the Kramer vs. Kramer soundtrack and the incredible clarity of Luciano Pavarotti's voice. Voices and style became inportant then and I got into Streisand, Ella, Mathis, Sinatra, Patsy Cline. Also blues. I lived near Buddy Guy's club in Chicago and took in many a show.

I started listening to more and more jazz in the 90's and now I switch back and forth between classic oldies and a jazz station that plays both classic and contemporary artists.

I don't listen to much of the new stuff. The last new musical style that I really paid any attention to was new jack swing. What was that? 1985? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2005 09:58 pm
I've always made it a point to attempt to keep up with new music.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2005 10:03 pm
I've tried but I just don't likemuch of the new stuff. Everyone sounds the same to me. I do like alot of the beats used in rap music but can't distinguish the lyrics, which is probably just as well.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2005 10:04 pm
I notice whenever I first hear a new genre of music, I think "it all sounds the same" too. But like hearing a lot of albums that are new to you, sometimes you have to force yourself to listen to it over and over for a while before it "hits" you.
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2005 10:05 pm
I love music, alway's have.

My taste in music hasn't drastically changed, but it has shifted. When I was 14 I appreciated the top 40 groups of the day, Led Z., The Who, Stones, but I preferred groups that were not as main stream, such as - King Crimson, Roxy Music, Emerson Lake and Palmer. But I also liked a tiny bit of classical.

Now I still like my oldies, but I love classical. Certain pieces make me melt.

The only genre I haven't taken a liking to is jazz, I have no idea why.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2005 10:10 pm
Paula, have you seen The Who in concert? I've seen them a couple times, they're unreal.
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2005 10:15 pm
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
Paula, have you seen The Who in concert? I've seen them a couple times, they're unreal.

No I haven't. I should download Quadrophenia (spelling) though.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2005 10:20 pm
Hello Reyn, we were born the same year. Smile I have always liked many kinds of music especially rock music. For many years I loathed opera…but now, I guess I mellowed, because some of it is so beautiful to listen to…
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 09:23 am
Howdy, guys! Nice to see some of my peers here.

As a couple of you, I was brought up on classical music. My parents played it in the house on their records (remember those?). Bach and Mozart mainly.

Like any kid in his teens, of course you start to rebel against that and listen to what most people at the time were listening to. If I had been a teen in the 40's, perhaps it would have been the big band stuff.

I have trouble warming up to newer music, like rap, for example. It just doesn't feel right for me. Never been a big fan of country and western either, although some artists (Shania Twain comes to mind) seem to blend styles and can't easily be pigeon-holed, as in the past. I think that's a good thing.

Nowadays, I listen a lot to the likes of Holly Cole and contemporaries. I'm terrible with names, so I won't even try to list them.

I can now more appreciate the likes and dislikes of other people from earlier generations and are more tolerant of that.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 09:54 am
eoe wrote:
I lived near Buddy Guy's club in Chicago and took in many a show.

Lucky girl.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 09:59 am
I couldn't believe how lucky! Just a few blocks away from Grant Park, I saw just about all of the free concerts, Jazzfest, Bluesfest, Gospelfest. It was great.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 10:00 am
I can imagine! Wow.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 10:16 am
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
I notice whenever I first hear a new genre of music, I think "it all sounds the same" too. But like hearing a lot of albums that are new to you, sometimes you have to force yourself to listen to it over and over for a while before it "hits" you.

I agree wholeheartedly and try to keep up with new music too.
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 10:22 am
Reyn wrote:
As a couple of you, I was brought up on classical music. My parents played it in the house on their records (remember those?). Bach and Mozart mainly.

Very Happy Reyn, this thread is fun! Your jarring my memory and I love it.

I grew up on Engelbert Humperdink, - pleeeease release me let me goooooooo. He has a wonderful, warm voice, that song reminds me of my grammy, she always played that when I was there.

My mom LOVED Johnny Cash. The lyrics to most of his songs are tattooed in my memory.
He sure had an amazing ability to make the majority of his music sound as if there were a train a-commin'...<boom-chika-boom-chika-boom>
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 10:29 am
Luther Perkins created the familiar Johnny Cash "boom-chicka-boom" guitar style forever linked to the Man in Black, and his music. In my opinion, one cannot think of Johnny Cash without considering the simple, yet affective guitar work Luther developed (1955-1968), and (from 1969) Bob Wootten continued. Indeed, Bob continued to refine, and adapt the unique "Luther style" while at the same time retain the integrity of one of the most recognized sounds of the twentieth century."

http://www.counterfit.com/Luther_Perkins.jpg
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 10:33 am
I was lucky to grow up in a house full of classical and folk music...especially the folk music of Spain and Latin America.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Has your taste in music changed?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/28/2024 at 06:46:12