Has your taste in music changed?

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 10:37 am
I'm ages older than e.g. colurbook and Reyn (two, in two weeks even three Laughing ), and I like, like others, the music I heard when I was young.

I must admit, though, that
- at the age of 16 I became a Dixie/New Orleans Jazz fan (attended my first Jazz concert in an English pub than, have collected now some hundred cd's),
- I now even like the music I thought to be "girlish" (Herman Hermits, for example) then,
- and that I'm still fond of good old Rock'n Roll.
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 10:42 am
Pan, I've never heard of him, but my mom has, she liked him.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 10:49 am
I only know Carl Perkins Embarrassed
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 10:50 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
I only know Carl Perkins Embarrassed

That's o.k. Walter...we still love you.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 10:51 am
Both Luther(as Cash's guitarist) and Carl Perkins are considered pioneers in Rockabilly guitar styles.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 10:54 am
The last two resonses made me happy again. Thanks :wink:
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 06:16 pm
not really, i'm always being exposed to new music, but my musical tastes have always been very diverse
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 06:21 pm
Hmmm.................As a kid I grew up with the ballad singers, Tony Bennett, Frank Sinatra, Eddie Fisher. In my twenties I was turned on to classical music, a genre I love to this day. I am nuts for disco, and like to workout to soft rock, the heavier the back beat, the better.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 06:50 pm
paulaj wrote:
My mom LOVED Johnny Cash. The lyrics to most of his songs are tattooed in my memory.
He sure had an amazing ability to make the majority of his music sound as if there were a train a-commin'...<boom-chika-boom-chika-boom>

I'm really showing my age here, but I remember going to a Johnny Cash concert (one of the few I've ever gone to) here in Vancouver around 1973, or so. I remember being quite impressed. He had a long, illustrious career.

panzade wrote:
I was lucky to grow up in a house full of classical and folk music...especially the folk music of Spain and Latin America.

I also enjoy classical guitar music. There are some very talented people around. Do you like this, too?

Walter Hinteler wrote:
...I became a Dixie/New Orleans Jazz fan (attended my first Jazz concert in an English pub..

Yeah, the Dixieland stuff is a lot of fun, too. I had forgotten about that. thanks for reminding me!

Phoenix32890 wrote:
Hmmm.................As a kid I grew up with the ballad singers, Tony Bennett, Frank Sinatra, Eddie Fisher. In my twenties I was turned on to classical music, a genre I love to this day. I am nuts for disco, and like to workout to soft rock, the heavier the back beat, the better.

Phoenix, are you familiar with a fellow that we have here from Montreal called Michael Bublé? He's a young fellow, doing quite well I feel, that's following in their footsteps. I love his work.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 06:55 pm
Reyn- No, I have never heard of Michael Buble. I'll have to check him out!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 06:57 pm
Listened to a couple of clips on Amazon. Sounds good!
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 07:04 pm
My favorite new voices for male vocals are Josh Groban, his version of "O Holy Night" is outstanding.(i listen to that song all year, not just xmas time)

Andrea Bocelli, his duet with Sarah Brightman in "Time To Say Good Bye" does me in.

Mario Frangoulis. I have to recommend a song by him, "Sometimes I Dream" this is a must listen, it sends me.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 07:18 pm
I went through a heavy Andrea Bocelli enthusiasm. He made me cry. It was about the time I moved up here and lived in my wild tract house, that I got for almost free, to keep it warm, that one month. (It sold just after I unpacked and hung my paintings and started cooking, to the first people who had looked at it, with a 30 day escrow, gulp. I then .. moved to the house they left, before I moved to my own. What a weird five months).

Anyway, when I was at a goodby luncheon for me at a friend's house in the Palisades, Andrea Bocelli was enchanting the roomful of us girlfriends. I went out and bought it, the Romanza cd, and in this new rental put it on to play when my business partner and her husband came over to dinner. Full blast. She also loved it. Two tearing women, with one guy who really knows classical music rolling his eyes.

I played it several times that month there in that atriumed house in the sequoia grove...
We still play it (or it is one of the three oldie but goodies) we play while we are hanging painting shows.

However, I have since cottoned on to the fact that he is no opera singer, he is a pop singer. Still, the voice moved me, and still does, if I don't hear it too often.

Callas, la Divina 2, there you go...
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 07:23 pm
Buble is the best.
I remember in particular Vivaldi's concertos for guitar and lute...got me learning classical guitar.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 09:48 pm
panzade wrote:
...got me learning classical guitar.

How's it going with the lessons? Are you good? :wink:
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 10:10 pm
I can play some Bach guitar pieces,but I switched to the bass and don't play my classical much anymore.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/28/2024 at 06:08:30