English books

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2018 06:00 am
Could someone recommend me an interesting English book? I like love-story books but also adventure or fantasy. I am looking forvard for your answers.

View best answer, chosen by klaudiczq
jespah

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2018 10:11 am
@klaudiczq,
There are tons and tons of English books!

So let's narrow down your search a bit. For a love story, do you want to read something which takes place in the present time or the past? Do you mind sex scenes? Do you only want to see heterosexual romance, or are you interested in seeing more variety? Love stories include Love Story by Erich Segal but also 50 Shades of Grey by EL James (by the way, 50 Shades has a lot of other problems including a very bad depiction of a BDSM relationship).

For adventure stories, do you want present day, past, or future? Do you want it to be a story where the heroes win, or are you open to something where the bad guys win or maybe it's not so clear? Adventure can encompass all sorts of scenarios, including westerns, stories about pirates, science fiction, etc. Adventure stories include Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson and A Wrinkle in Time by Ursula K. Le Guin.

Fantasy is also divided into high fantasy and low fantasy. High fantasy is stories set in their own separate world. Low fantasy is when magical events intrude on the real world (in an urban setting, that's usually called urban fantasy). The Hobbit by JRR Tolkein is high fantasy. Moon Called by Patricia Briggs is low fantasy (it's actually urban fantasy). JK Rowling's Harry Potter books kind of straddle the line between high and low fantasy.
0 Replies

Setanta
  Selected Answer

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2018 01:46 pm
I highly recommend the novels of Roman Britain written by Rosemary Sutcliff. They are written for adolescents, but as an adult, I discovered them and thoroughly enjoyed them. They may be easier for a non-native speaker of English. You can read about her work in this Wikipedia article. In particular, I recommend the "Eagle of the Ninth" series, in which the novels are linked by an artifact, a ring with a flawed gem stone on which the figure of a dolphin has been carved. She also wrote many books about the Arthurian legend, which I assure you are fantasy, given that there is absolutely no evidence that "King Arthur" ever existed.
0 Replies