littlek

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2003 10:41 am
In my wandering around the internet looking at plant databases I run into some really cool plants. I don't usually buy them as they are often not appropriate for my little dark yard. But, I will be landscaping a bit in bigger sunnier yards, so I just need to convince the owners of those yards that they want extraordinary plants.

Here are some oddballs I've found recently. Some are gaining more of an audience, some are not.

Stinking Iris (iris foeditissima)

Akebia (be sure to check out all the pages)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 3,057 • Replies: 15
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2003 10:03 pm
I don't know the foetid iris! The akebia seems dangerous re native plants, and I am a natives fan.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2003 12:00 am
MMmmm, I don't think it'd be dangerous up here, the climate isn't kind enough. But, it is definitely a non-native.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2003 12:07 am
It, the Akebia, is killing lots of trees in Virginia and Maryland.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2003 12:08 am
Rhododendron canadense .. is a native species.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2003 12:08 am
That's sad, is it killing the kudzu too?
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2003 12:21 am
In a page of the link littlek added an ecological threat is refered to.

http://www.nps.gov/plants/alien/fact/akqu1.htm

"ECOLOGICAL THREAT: Fiveleaf akebia grows so quickly that, if left unmanaged, it can kill off existing ground level vegetation, understory shrubs and trees, and even some canopy trees, by overtopping and smothering them.  Once established, its dense growth prevents seed germination and seedling establishment of native plants. "
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2003 12:33 am
May be they will duke it out - there is some weird stuff growing at the water front in Alexandria, VA and in D.C. too. They call it blue algae I think.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2003 12:34 am
hmmmm, are kudzu and akebia the same plant? We have these little vines up here. The one I'm thinking of has been a very healthy, smallish vine for several years. I wonder if there are cultivars that breed out the rampant growth....? That's too bad, I love it!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2003 12:37 am
algea is a surface plant(?) that eats up sewage and other waste materials. I've read about algea blooms in that area due to pig farming run-off and top-soil washout. You'd think that was a good thing, but what happens is they cut out the light that the lower plants need to live. Maybe they produce a toxic byproduct too, can't remember. But, I bet if this isn't sufficiently addressed by tomorrow that I'llbe doing an online search. Too tired for that now.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2003 12:39 am
The Oleander is native to native to California and grows well in Arizona too. It is so pretty but very posionous.

International Olenader Society

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:nFhsRpOkloUC:stqj1.chs.edu.sg/t2002088/oleander.jpg
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2003 08:35 am
Aaaaah, Oleander is beautiful!
0 Replies

Sublime

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2003 06:41 pm
Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

I love Oleander but it hates the climate I live in.

Littlek, have you thought about Astilbe? That is the only thing I could get to brighten up a part shade area in one place I lived. It has this lovely lacey, airy quality.

**wondering where I could plant some here....**
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2003 12:27 am
Astilbe is nice...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2003 10:53 pm
We've got astillbe in the back yard, there's a new pale lavender variety out!
0 Replies

Sublime

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 09:45 pm
LIttlek! Do tell!

**still hunting a good astilbe spot, getting some ideas**

Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies