Widescreen TV's and DVD's

almach1

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 12:15 pm
I have dvds in aspect ratio's raging from 2:35:1 , 2:40:1 (anamorphic), 1:81:1, 1:85:1 (anamorphic). The 2:35 and 2:40 dvd's won't fill up the entire screen on a widescreen without zoom. The 1:81 and 1:85 will fill up the entire screen without zooming. My question is, Are the movies filmed in these aspect ratio's or is one of them modified from it's original form? I just think it's stupid because they are both being marketed as widescreen, but they are not the same.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,605 • Replies: 14
No top replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 12:30 pm
It's hard to say. Widescreen TV's at 16:9, which is actually 1.78:1. The 1.8x DVD's actually have small black bars at top and bottom, but they are likely unoticable. The anamorphic DVD's simply have captured the original film's aspect ratio. When using a projection setup, there is no top and bottom of the screen. In a darkened room/theatre, there is no perspective of such.

By the way, when watching DVD's on a widescreen TV, make sure the DVD player knows it is connected to at 16:9 TV, and use the TV's "Full" screen mode, not zoom. If you zoom you will cut off much of the picture. Just deal with the letterbox bars, as those are correct.
0 Replies

almach1

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 12:48 pm
I just think that's it's not cool that even though you buy a widescreen TV, you still can't use 100% of the screen.

Also Does anybody know what aspect ratio HDTV broadcasts are, or will they be letterboxed also?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 12:55 pm
HD is 16:9.

I think your anger is misplaced. Note my comment about projection, above. Many DVD's are made with projection in mind. I wish they were all available in 16:9 also, but it is a huge task to undertake when a movie is shot in 2:35:1, for example, and much is lost in translation.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 01:01 pm
Note though that even HD signals can sometimes have letterboxed effect. If the broadcaster chooses to show the film, for example, in the original aspect ratio, you will see letterboxed HD, and you will be unable to change the display mode because HD locks your set. It's just the way it is.

Also, when you watch non-HD over digital stations, there will be bars on the sides, and you still can't change the display mode because of the 1080i or 720p signal locking the set.

I can answer just about any HD question as long as it doesn't involve Comcast cable.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 01:02 pm
Oh, here's a good place for HD info:

http://www.hdtvoice.com
0 Replies

almach1

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 03:44 pm
Thanks for the hel cjhsa
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 03:49 pm
You're welcome, I'm assuming you meant "help" Laughing.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 03:51 pm
Maybe not, lol ;-)
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 03:54 pm
almach1 wrote:
Thanks for the hel cjhsa

I noticed your typo there. I'm not one to correct people, but you forgot an "L" Laughing

Sorry CJ. I couldn't resist Twisted Evil
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 03:56 pm
I give everyone hell. It's just my nature I guess. Smile
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 03:58 pm
Like I haven't noticed, ha! This is why I love to give some of it back when the opportunity arises :-D
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 04:08 pm
almach1 wrote:
I just think that's it's not cool that even though you buy a widescreen TV, you still can't use 100% of the screen.

Perhaps. I'd suggest you study up on the benefits of anamorphic Widescreen before discounting it though. (Go here for a primer:
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/anamorphic/ )

For most of us the benefits of a higer resolution picture greatly outweighs whether or not the screen is filled 100%.
0 Replies

almach1

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 02:21 am
Thanx Fishin, I always noticed anamorphic were better. on my 4:3 sony tv, I get electronic black bars that are not part of the movie. These helps the TV with better picture quality i've been told. i completely understand now.

PS: cjhsa, i meant to say thanks for the help, not hell.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 03:56 am
Ooops, sorry. He's always giving me hell, so I assumed he was spreading it around, heehee :-D
0 Replies