Use of “the” after “each of”

Stilgar

Reply Wed 14 Feb, 2018 05:21 am
Hi I'd like to ask if this part of a text is correct. I believe that "the" is missing from the sentence and it shoul be: "...each of the five level categories:". Am I correct? If it is correct as it is, why?

"Ten winners will be announced in announced in each of five level categories: 450-499, 500-799, 800-999, 1000+."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 382 • Replies: 4
No top replies

hightor

Reply Wed 14 Feb, 2018 05:44 am
@Stilgar,
It's all right either way. There's a subtle difference but the meaning and intent is the same. I'd be more concerned about " announced in announced in". Smile
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 14 Feb, 2018 05:49 am
@Stilgar,
Apart from "announced in" appearing twice, the sentence is not incorrect. The more appropriate criticism would be that one would not write "level categories"--one would most likely write categories, or one might write: ". . . at each of five levels . . ." So one might choose to write ". . . announced at each of five levels," or ". . . announced in each of five categories . . ."

The definite article does not appear, because the sentence goes on to describe the five levels, or categories. Were those already known, or the author of the sentence did not describe said levels, or categories, in that sentence, you would be correct, the definite article would be used.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 14 Feb, 2018 05:51 am
I might add that the sentence does not appear to have been written by a native-speaker of English.
0 Replies

ekename

Reply Wed 14 Feb, 2018 06:02 am
@Stilgar,
Four categories?
0 Replies