sozobe

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 08:14 am
I had a Wyndtell (RIM Blackberry with Wyndtell service) for several years, loved it. First $20/ month and unlimited, then after I left my job $10/ month, 10,000 characters. Had emergency services like contacting AAA. So great. What I needed and no more.

The thing finally died about a year ago, and I've been shopping since. Nobody uses ttys anymore, it's all email pagers or computer (relay/ webcam). I also can't stand being stuck without communication when I'm away from the computer/ don't have a connection (which happens often.)

Most deaf people I know have a Sidekick, but their cheapest service plan is $40 a month or something, and it has a ton of extras that I like but don't require and would prefer not to pay for.

I could get a Blackberry with Wyndtell service again but for one thing they don't have the $10 plan anymore, would be $15, and for another if you get the cheapest plan you have to pay $$ for the device -- cheapest I've found was $200, more usual is $300-$400.

I read the NYT review of the Ogo when it came out and was underwhelmed, mentally crossed it off my list. Just chatted with a friend who told me she LOVES hers, though, so now I'm interested again. At $79 for the device, $17.99/ month service, + use of my regular Yahoo account, sounds like it's right up my alley.

Any feedback on the Ogo?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,538 • Replies: 11
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 09:01 pm
Lemme try this again. I want to buy the thing.

I just don't have a particularly good feeling about the Ogo (just read something about them not being made anymore, too, doesn't seem to be a good sign) and was perfectly happy with my Blackberry with Wyndtell service, so I think I'm just going to go for that.

Question now -- any recommendations for where to get the cheapest/ best quality Blackberry? Right now on Amazon there is one that is supposedly brand-new, in wrapping and everything, for supposedly ~$50. The best price I can get for a new one with the plan I want through Wyndtell (cheapest one), is about $129, I think.

Any and all advice appreciated. Don't want to spend more than I need to, don't want to go too cheap and get a piece of junk.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 09:29 pm
got a lonk?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 09:33 pm
To what?
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 09:38 pm
the inexpensive blackberry
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 09:42 pm
Well, what do you have in mind?

I'd prefer not to link to something for sale.

Basically just looking for recommendations -- if you were looking for a cheap Blackberry, where would you look?
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 09:43 pm
looked on buy.com for $149
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 09:47 pm
the amazon one looks loike a good deal after activation and rebate
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 10:04 pm
http://www.mobiledia.com
http://reviews.cnet.com/RIM_BlackBerry_7230/4505-6452_7-30469709.html
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 10:47 pm
Wish I'd seen this sooner, Soz. With the Cingular/ATT marriage, the future of OGO service is iffy. Sales, from product-launch-to-date have been just a few thousand units nation-wide, and the revenue stream has been nowhere near what had been anticipated. Lookin' thru the latest Cingular Annual Report (Sent free to shareholders, dunno for sure if its available to the general public), I don't see anything that indicates OGO is a planned revenue stream, though I see nothin' to lead me to conclude the service will be dropped either - I find mostly nothin', other than that it was included with the absorption of ATT Wireless and, along with some other ATT products/services, is "Under Review".

I note Cingular's website, and OGO's own website, list an 800 number - 1-800-298-5210 (5:00AM-9:00PM Mon-Fri, 5:00AM-7:00PM Sat, 5:00AM-5:00PM Sun, US Pacific Time) to call for purchases. I called, it seems to be the for-current-subscribers Service Add/Change line - that may or may not be a good sign. The product is not listed among those available for online purchase directly from Cingular - that's very possibly a very bad sign, though without any sorta official announcement from Cingular, nothin' is certain. About all that can be said for certain right now is that right now, OGO's future is uncertain.

I dunno for sure, but I'd think, untill somethin' firms up one way or the other, OGO merits a no-go the way things stand now.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 08:51 am
Thanks, timber, that reinforces what I was thinking with a lot more specifics.

Thanks for the link, husker. I've had a Blackberry before so already pretty familiar with its strengths/ weaknesses. Had two over about 8 years. I'm mostly interested in suggestions for where to get one that is likely to be both in good shape and cheap.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 11:24 am
I'd go amazon them - I saw one for $49.00 (the guy had a good record also)
0 Replies