My son is being deployed.

Reply Sat 10 Feb, 2018 01:18 pm
My son is an army infantryman. He has been training to clear houses, assault enemy positions and respond to attacks in urban environments. So far he has been training in the US preparing for when our nation needs him. Our nation has now decided they need him. He is going to Afghanistan.

My son has been looking forward to being deployed. This is what he has been training for and working hard for. We have have dreading it. The army is telling us that he will be part of a security detail in a forward operating base... probably near Kandahar. We know the risks he is facing. We know that there are still attacks and assaults and patrols. We know that most soldiers come back.

It's strange this place I am as a liberal and the father of a soldier. I am proud of my son. I question the war. I am worried. I want my son to have the experience for which he has been working. I don't want him to be harmed.

The community of military families is very important, I don't really fit. We care about each other... we have a natural emotional bond of caring about someone who is putting themselves in harms way for our country. Most military families voted for Trump. Most of them are explicitly patriotic and deeply religious.

I've noticed I change depending on the role I am in; usually I support people kneeling during the national anthem and question the ritual. When I am a military father, I salute the flag... I do it to support my son. I support the other families in spite of how different we are. I support and understand the meaning of this ritual in helping with the strong emotions of worry and pride.

So there it is; pride and fear. Support and doubt. But most of us a deep desire to see my son come back safely.

PUNKEY

Reply Sat 10 Feb, 2018 01:46 pm
My prayers are with you and your family and especially your son.

My nephew/son served in both Iraq and Afghanistan for one year each with the National Guard. He was in administration, which at first seems safe, but his location was bombed and there were issues with the local residents hired to help on the base.

I know what you are going through. The military family group support helps.

0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 10 Feb, 2018 03:07 pm
@maxdancona,
An odd position to be in. But it sounds like you are handling it right. Good luck.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 10 Feb, 2018 08:51 pm
Yeah, good luck. Most of us wouldn't trade the experience for a million bucks. If we're honest, we wouldn't do it again for two million.
farmerman

Reply Sun 11 Feb, 2018 12:51 am
@roger,
All I can say is support him and wait till hes home for good to engage him .

What roger said was brilliant
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 11 Feb, 2018 10:21 am
Thank you all for your support. I am mostly frustrated by the lack of information from the army and from my son who keeps saying this is just his job and that we shouldn't worry.

The messages on this thread mean a lot to me. Thanks.

0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Wed 14 Feb, 2018 10:53 am
@maxdancona,
I don't think there's any moral/ethical/political contradiction here. You may feel it, but I think it's just requires a shift in perspective.

You can both be proud of soldiers and despise the war.
You can support someone's choice to kneel during the anthem, but still stand yourself.
You can love your neighbor even if you disagree with them.
You can also just do things to go with the flow sometimes and not have to worry about it changing your morals.

Good luck with your son and good luck at your home day to day. But don't worry about losing your beliefs/morals/ideals just because you don't kneel during a military parade or challenge your Trump supporting neighbor when they bring you brownies.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2018 12:56 pm
@maxdancona,
my best wishes. Much praise and thanks to your son for his service to our country.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » My son is being deployed.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/30/2024 at 09:56:23