Want a Big New TV? Wait Awhile. Prices Are Dropping!

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 06:14 am
Quote:
Even if you take all your friends to a sports bar on Super Bowl Sunday and even if you pay for every beer, you'll likely spend thousands less than you would have if you bought yourself a new ultra-thin, high-definition television. And you won't have to kick yourself as you watch the price of those TVs fall.

Even Doug Zenz, a Newport Beach, Calif., mortgage banker who dropped $5,400 last month on a 50-inch Sony plasma television knows his new toy can only get cheaper.

"Most people cannot afford five or seven thousand dollars for a TV set," said Zenz. "It's like all new technology: the first people to jump in pay top dollar."

New factories and improved manufacturing techniques are expected to contribute to significant price declines this year. Exactly how much depends on whom you ask.

The price of liquid-crystal display TVs fell between 30 percent and 50 percent last year - with the larger screens dropping more - a decline that will likely be repeated in 2005, said Douglas Woo, president of Westinghouse Digital Electronics LLC.

Westinghouse introduced a 27-inch liquid crystal display TV for $2,499 last January. It sells for $1,299 today.

A 37-inch liquid crystal display TV that cost $7,000 a year ago now sells for about $3,000, said Sean Wargo, director of industry analysis at the Consumer Electronics Association, the Arlington Va., manufacturers trade group.

He expects prices for liquid-crystal display sets to drop around 40 percent this year.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20050128/D87TBK500.html

Ever since I got my 19" LCD computer monitor a couple of years ago, I have been dying to buy a new, big screen, LCD TV. I am not interested in shelling out multi-megabucks for it though.

I keep checking the print ads, and the internet. Apparently prices ARE dropping, and the screens are getting bigger and bigger. Also, it seems that the technology is becoming more sophisticated. I figure that if I can wait until the end of the year......................................

I would like to start by buying a smaller TV for the den, where I have my computer. A 24" LCD would be nice. The problem is, I have a 19" Zenith CRT that was bought in 1987. It still works perfectly, and would be a pity to throw out. I wonder if the new sets will last for 18 years, like my Zenith. Then again, maybe I won't last for another 18 years! Laughing

Do you have a large screen LCD or plasma TV? How do you like it? How does it compare in quality with your old CRT sets? Have you had any problems with the new technology?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,013 • Replies: 5
No top replies

FreeDuck

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 06:55 am
By husband wants one of those. We've also been watching the prices and I heard on a radio program that prices always drop after the super bowl. If they drop down into our price range we'll get one.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 08:06 am
last year we bought a 30" LCD, we both like it (we are not much into tv watching" we have it in a small corner of the living room and is the only tv in the house. I really can't imagine having of even wanting a big screen.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 08:27 am
I'm not a big fan of the flat panel sets either, Phoe.

For a variety of reasons, but the main one is having to justify the expense psychologically by watching it more, and I will not do that.

TV is a pox on man's intelligence, but that's another conversation.

If you replace something in your home -- and really I mean anything that still has the least marginal value -- even if it's a pair of socks with holes in them -- don't throw it away, give it to Goodwill.

They will take whatever you give, even sox with holes, and not only be grateful but give you a receipt.

And let me tell you, they never throw anything away.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 08:34 am
PDiddie- Of course I would not actually "throw away" a good working TV. There is a Goodwill right near me, who would be happy to have it, when the time comes.

dys- I like to relax in front of the TV for awhile in the evenings. I almost never watch TV before 7PM. I usually end up in my den, sprawled across the sofa bed, watching the 19 incher. I have gotten into watching a lot of DVDs, and they DO look better on a larger screen, especially the outside scenes. (I have a 50" CRT)
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 08:46 am
actually I am thinking that the layout of the room where the tv is to be placed somewhat dictates the size of the tv. We set aside a small corner of the lving room with two smallish comfy chair/recliners for our tv viewing at the opposite end of the living room we did pretty much the same thing but it is our library area with floor to ceiling bookcases and another two comfy recliners, inbetween is the actual living room area surrounding the fireplace. With the 30" LCD off in its niche it doesn't intrude into our "living" area. Our old CRT is on a chest in our office/puter room (not plugged in) we kept it because it has a build-in VCR player should we need it. The 30" LCD is connected to a DVD player (had to have Blatham hook it up for us) I might add that at least 7 months of the year we pretty much live on the patio with no t.v.
0 Replies