Gala

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 09:44 am
I have a Hibiscus plant that has been in my office space for about 4 years. It's an enclosed space on the 4th floor of the building. Suddenly, in the dead of winter, it's infested with white flies. How does the fly seek out the Hibiscus and the Hibiscus alone?

Also, has anyone ever had this problem? And if so, how did you treat it and how were the results? I've read that Murphy's Oil soap can solve this problem.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,743 • Replies: 5
No top replies

littlek

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 10:42 am
Maybe spray it with the oil-soap (well-diluted) first to see if that helps. Then try the pesticides you can find at raden stores. I don't know HOW they do it! I do know that a plant under stress is more susceptible. Has ther been a change in your plant's life lately?
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 11:18 am
Okay. Thanks Little K, for your response. I posted this for someone in my office cause she is concerned. After asking her some more questions ( I just started the job here about 3 weeks ago), she told me the plant was brought here about 2 months ago as a cutting, and it just grew like a weed in this period of time. So, I was wrong about the time frame! It's pretty amazing how big the plant is (that's why I said 4 years).

Now that I've gotten this information, I have a feeling the larvae was on the cutting, and because this space is always hot, the nasty little "white dandruff" has a near perfect breeding ground.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 11:22 am
I hate those things!
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 12:15 pm
I think it's a good idea to dilute the Murphy's to start the annihilation . I got the information about using it from the Internet, but they don't say full strength, or dilute. So that's a good place to start, thanks, Little K.
0 Replies

Mochakitty

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 07:25 pm
white fly
I work in a greenhouse/retail establishment. We are told that if we happen to be near a plant that has white fly/ spidermite (especially spider mite) that there is a good chance we can transmit it from plant to plant , even bring the bugs home,if we don't change our clothing.
My pomegranate plants were fine all winter, until yesterday, they are now infested with white fly but none of my other plants are yet. Spraying with warm soapy water 60/40 is fine and cheaper but the glue traps are the best. I just sprayed them and hope this gets rid of them.
0 Replies