How long are you here for? & How long are you going to stay here for?

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2018 05:27 am
Am I correct in saying that "How long are you here for?" and "How long are you going to stay here for?" mean the same thing?

If not, when or in which context should I use each of them?

BTW, in casual speaking/conversation, is it possible to drop "for" in the two questions above?

As always, many, many thanks for your kind help.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 781 • Replies: 15
No top replies

layman

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2018 07:43 am
@paok1970,
paok1970 wrote:

Am I correct in saying that "How long are you here for?" and "How long are you going to stay here for?" mean the same thing?

Yeah, they mean the same thing. That don't mean each of them is "proper," but, still....

Quote:
If not, when or in which context should I use each of them?

Don't use the second one--just leave "for" plumb the **** out of that one.

Winston Churchill wrote:
“From now on, ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put.”

Quote:
BTW, in casual speaking/conversation, is it possible to drop "for" in the two questions above?
If you don't have "for" in the first one, then you'd need to re-structure it to something like: "how long are you gunna be here?"
Glennn

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2018 08:45 am
@layman,
Quote:
. . . then you'd need to re-structure it to something like: "how long are you gunna be here?"

Or better yet: "When ya leavin'?" Smile
layman

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2018 09:40 am
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:

Quote:
. . . then you'd need to re-structure it to something like: "how long are you gunna be here?"

Or better yet: "When ya leavin'?" Smile

Exactly, Glenn.

Even more better: "Long past time for you to be haulin your sorry ass outta here, ************."
0 Replies

layman

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2018 09:55 am
0 Replies

layman

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2018 09:55 am
0 Replies

paok1970

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2018 10:17 am
@layman,
layman wrote:

Would you please the above part further?

Thank you.
layman

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2018 10:24 am
@paok1970,
paok1970 wrote:

layman wrote:

Would you please the above part further?

Thank you.

OK, sure. Instead of asking ""How long are you going to stay here for?" just ask ""How long are you going to stay here?" The Churchill quote was just a humorous way of stating (well, actually ridiculing, in his case), the old saw that you should NEVER end a sentence with a preposition.

You're welcome.
camlok

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2018 12:35 pm
@layman,
Quote:
The Churchill quote was just a humorous way of stating (well, actually ridiculing, in his case), the old saw that you should NEVER end a sentence with a preposition.

You make no sense at all, layman. If you ridicule the old saw, why do you suggest that the 'for' can't be used as it was used.
layman

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2018 12:42 pm
@camlok,
camlok wrote:

Quote:
The Churchill quote was just a humorous way of stating (well, actually ridiculing, in his case), the old saw that you should NEVER end a sentence with a preposition.

You make no sense at all, layman. If you ridicule the old saw, why do you suggest that the 'for' can't be used as it was used.

Ya aint makin no damn sense, Cammie. I never said it couldn't be used that way. I just said it wouldn't be "proper," that's all.

layman wrote:
Yeah, they mean the same thing. That don't mean each of them is "proper," but, still....

Propriety can kiss my black ass.

But that aint even the reason to leave it out to begin with.
layman

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2018 01:24 pm
Notice that it aint "how long for" blues, eh?

0 Replies

camlok

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2018 01:36 pm
@layman,
Quote:
I just said it wouldn't be "proper," that's all.

You make no sense at all, layman. What does "proper" mean? What are your quotes all about?

Considering you know virtually nothing about the history of English or the grammar of English your confused statements mean nothing.

How long are you here for? is identical to How long are you going to stay here for? except the second one has three more words "going to stay".

Those three words don't change anything.

layman

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2018 01:38 pm
@camlok,
camlok wrote:

What does "proper" mean?
It just means what some candyass like you would say it means, that's all.

In other words, it don't mean sheeit.
camlok

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2018 01:47 pm
@layman,
Highly illustrative that you know nothing about the English language, or even simple logic.

Pure intellectual cowardliness on your part.
layman

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2018 01:53 pm
I believe....I believe my time aint long.

0 Replies

layman

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2018 01:55 pm
@camlok,
camlok wrote:

Highly illustrative that you know nothing about the English language, or even simple logic.

Illustrate this, eh, perv?
0 Replies