State Senator Wants Cockfights, with Gloves

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 08:38 am
Oddly Enough - Reuters

OKLAHOMA CITY (Reuters) - An Oklahoma senator hopes to revive cockfighting in the state by putting tiny boxing gloves on the roosters instead of razors.

The Oklahoma legislature outlawed the blood sport in 2002 because of its cruelty to the roosters, which are slashed and pecked to death while human spectators bet on the outcome.

But State Sen. Frank Shurden, a Democrat from Henryetta and a long-time defender of cockfighting, said the ban had wiped out a $100-million business.

To try to revive it, he has proposed that roosters wear little boxing gloves attached to their spurs, as well as lightweight, chicken-sized vests configured with electronic sensors to record hits and help keep score.

"It's like the fencing that you see on the Olympics, you know, where they have little balls on the ends of the swords and the fencers wear vests," said Shurden. "That's the same application that would be applied to the roosters."

Janet Halliburton, president of the Oklahoma Coalition Against Cockfighting, which led the drive for the 2002 law, said Shurden is really seeking to loosen the ban.

"What this is going to do is make a platform for him to continually try to amend the existing ban," Halliburton told The Oklahoman newspaper.

The State Senate will consider Shurden's proposal next month.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 657 • Replies: 7
No top replies

doglover

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 11:30 pm
It seems to me this legislation will give roosters the shaft.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 12:01 am
Yes, it sounds like the cockfight you have when you're not supposed to be having a cockfight! Confused
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 12:04 am
I think Sen Shurden is hard up. Shocked
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 02:08 am
Too gobsmacked to say anything....

Quote:
The Oklahoma legislature outlawed the blood sport in 2002 because of its cruelty to the roosters, which are slashed and pecked to death while human spectators bet on the outcome.

However, I am all for the new blood sport of tossing Okies into a pit of crocodiles and betting on the outcome (the smart money tends to follow the crocs).
0 Replies

Sanctuary

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 09:05 am
My God, it's **** like this that makes me proud to be an Okie Shocked
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 10:47 pm
Sanctuary wrote:
My God, it's **** like this that makes me proud to be an Okie Shocked

Welcome to A2K Sanctury - do you mind if we check out that sugar sack you're holding there? It seems to be making a sort of 'crowing' noise......
0 Replies

Sanctuary

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 06:09 am
Thanks, Mr. Stillwater Very Happy
0 Replies