Any experiences boarding cats?

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 08:54 pm
I'm taking a week vacation in March and most of my friends & relatives will be unable to check on the "girls". My vet offers boarding..kenneling..whatever you call it..but, I just hate the thought of them in cages..even tho I know they would be well-cared for..also am considering a cat-sitter, but don't like the idea of a stranger coming into the house.
ARGHHH! Any thoughts?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,795 • Replies: 20
No top replies

kirsten

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 08:58 pm
I've boarded Tai Kitty at my vets. No problems (other than my guilt.) It helps to bring something familliar, maybe a small towel with your cats scent on it, to put in the cage.
0 Replies

sophie99

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 09:24 pm
Thanks, Kirsten. That's good to hear. I do have small blankets that they each sleep on, so thought that would be something good to bring along. And, the guilt...yeah..that's a toughie!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 09:57 pm
I used to fret about boarding my four (4! Shocked ) years ago, when we used to travel a lot. But after thoroughly checking out recommended "cat motels" we found an excellent one & used it a number of times. It just seemed better that the precious darlings were safe, well fed & that someone was monitoring their health while we were away. And the best recommendation: their condition was always terrific when we came to collect them. Very Happy
I can recall ringing the cattery from Jakarta to see how they were getting along there. Embarrassed Laughing
They were used to having us around all the time & the idea of someone dropping in once or twice a day to feed them was too much of a worry.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 11:51 pm
Well, I won't disagree with msolga, exactly, but I use a cat sitting friend for whom I have sat a number of times. My cats hide from her; hers hide from me, but I think they enjoy getting together under the bed and telling each other scarey stories.

I did take in one as a boarder for a week. She was miserable, Spooky was miserable (only cat at the time), and I didn't particularly enjoy the week either.

Anyway, I've always felt that cats were strongly oriented to what they consider their own place.

Put me down as no strong opinion, and why did I bother trying to answer.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 11:59 pm
Are your cats overweight, sophie? Mine would never eat well when they were boarded. We always called it "going to the spa," because they came home a little thinner. But then, they were skittish kitties to begin with. (The blanket helped.)

Now we have a pet sitter instead. It's the same money, and they are much happier staying in their own home. I wouldn't have called a stranger, though. I just couldn't give a house key to someone I don't know and then leave town. Fortunately, I found someone I know and trust.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 08:58 am
I personally have never boarded my cats, but a friend of my had. She brought it to this place in Maine that was basically like a resort for cats. Each cat had a separate caged area that had plenty of room and things to play with. During the day, she would let out each cat separately to have free roam around her house. She even had a fenced in area for outdoor play – again each cat was allowed to play separately outside. She even sent a postcard home to the “parents” with a picture of the cat enjoying her/himself. And when the cat is picked up, they take home a goody bag. My friend said her cat seemed to love it and would get excited when she dropped him off.

Maybe you could do a search in the area for something similar. I would suggest trying a place that caters to kittys only.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 09:17 am
I think roger's right - cats like to be home. They'll be fine at the vet, but they would be happier at home. If your cats are young, this would be good conditioning for future boarding.
0 Replies

sophie99

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 07:11 pm
Thanks much for the great feedback! Very Happy

Msolga- I don't think we have any cat motels here & may be out of my price range if there are..

Roger- Your opinion, strong or not, helps! I know they would be happier on their own turf.

Eva- One is a bit overweight & I can't imagine the other ever not eating, but yes, mine are also a bit skitterish...wonder if they'd constantly be on guard in a new environment

Linkat- Dang! Sounds like I should drop them off in Maine!

Littlek- Yeah, that's my bottom line too, I want them to be at home...

So...I think I've hit upon a compromise! A good friend ( and fellow cat person) could come in & check on them, but it would be a real inconvenience. BUT, she also just bought her first house & needs $, so I will wave some filthy lucre in her face & see if she will agree. A bit manipulative ? Nahhh, not when the "girls" well-being is at stake!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 07:28 pm
Good idea. I, too, would be reluctant to turn over a key to a total stranger. She's a cat person, though? Maybe you could offer to return the favor.
0 Replies

sophie99

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 09:14 pm
Definitely a cat person & they would be well-cared for...I have offered to care for hers as well if ever needed. Why is it always easier to give help than receive it ?

Funny thing..I worked with her & initially was so intimidated...she's very direct & "in your face" with her opinions, but then somehow we began talking about cats..I told her about Sushi who had kidney disease etc...and she got tears in her eyes...well, we've been good friends ever since..

Goes to show you shouldn't pre-judge...however I am still quite suspicious of people who do not like animals..:X)
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 03:39 am
we used to put previous cats in kennels as my parents had a cat of their own at that time and so couldn't take them.

First they used to go to the RSPCA kennels if we went away, there was a heated indoor bit and an outside run that they could sun in. I knew with the RSPCA that they truly cared for animals and it wasn't just profit margins. One always came back thinner but the girl who worked there said he was friendly and liked to be fussed so he did have some company. We had him for 5 years before second cat so he was on his own in his kennel for that time Once we had second cat we felt it wasn't quite so stressful. I used to feel like Attila the Hun leaving them their Crying or Very sad

Then the RSPCA stopped doing the pet boarding and we found a very good private cattery with just a few pens in the same design at the bottom of their sunny garden. She took very very good care of them and fed them exactly what they had at home and they were ok there (Timmy still used to lose weight). (NOTcheap!)

Now I'm lucky that my parents no longer have a cat and they are happy to board them - Rosie doesn't like it even though she's spoilt absolutely rotten. Last year she wouldn't eat for 3 days - I nearly went home to fetch her but then her resolve broke and she started eating.

A cat sitter would be the least disruptive to the cats I think - they do like their own territory.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 05:52 am
Tell me about "not cheap", Vivien! The cost of boarding our 4 preciouses was more p.w. than our weekly expenses in Java! Shocked
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 06:45 am
If you can in any way possible get someone to come and feed them, then by all means, do that. As a cat person myself, I know how stressful it is for them to be taken from home and brought to a strange place.

Good luck with convincing your friend :-D
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 09:03 am
A couple of other suggestions, if you leave your cats at home. Your friend could come over maybe just a few times a week. Clean the litter and fill the food dishes and give fresh water. Some suggestions if these are possible when leaving your cats for several days alone – If you can afford to buy one of those automatic kitty litter boxes. They run about $70 - $100. It is great! You plug it in and fill with clumping litter. There is a sensor so that several minutes after the cat uses it this rake comes from one end shifts all the litter through to the other end and dumps the clumps into a covered pan at the end. You always have clean litter with no smell. Your friend could then simply empty the litter pan. Also, leave plenty of dry food out – it will last for several days. For water, fill several dishes and I also suggest filling a sink just in case the cats accidentally spill the water bowls.

We have done this for any of our vacations and it works great.
0 Replies

sophie99

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 08:31 am
Laughing Woo hoo! It worked! My friend will be watching the girls while I'm gone. It will cost much less than boarding & very little guilt! Thanks again for all the feedback...it strengthened my resolve to pursue the cat-sitting option more vigorously.

Good ideas Linkat...I have left them in the care of sitters before & it has gone well. Unfortunately, my regular sitters were not available this time. I hadn't thought of the sink option! I've seen those auto litter boxes, but I can't imagine the girls not being totally freaked out by the clean-up action.

Greetings & purrs of relief from the girls!! :X)
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 08:58 am
Smile
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 11:28 am
Way to go Sophie. Now you can go away and be guilt free :-D
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 11:51 am
Have a great trip. The one thing about the automatic kitty litter is the screen thing is timed so that it does not go off immediately after the kitty uses it. It goes off 5 or so minutes after they leave it. My wimpy cats would certainly be freaked out about it. If my wimps can handle it any cat can.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 12:05 pm
I'm gonna get myself one of those one of these days. I've always wanted one, but they're a bit too expensive at the moment.
0 Replies