Arsenal squad rotation system

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2018 05:40 am
If both are correct, do you have a preference between "Arsenal's squad rotation system" and "the Arsenal squad rotation system"?

Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 568 • Replies: 10
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2018 12:15 pm
@paok1970,
Paok, all sorts of q's arise re the Arsenal squad. The meaning, construction, and punctuation of either sentence is governed by a number of unknown factors. For instance, is the squad officially named, where, 'squad' should be in caps? in which case 1st s/b "Arsenal Squad's"

Many others arise. Frinstance is there only one Arsenal? If more, then isn't the 2d somewhat ambiguous suggesting several additional uncertainties, frinstance whether we're considering an arsenal squad or a rotation system
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2018 02:02 am
@paok1970,
Both are correct and I don't have a preference.

There is a very slight nuance. If Arsene Wenger's system becomes one which lots of other clubs then use it would be referred to as the Arsenal squad rotation system because that would be some sort of benchmark, a recognised way of doing things. In those circumstances it would not be referred to as Arsenal's squad rotation system.

However, that's not the case so either term is acceptable.
paok1970

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2018 06:01 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

If Arsene Wenger's system becomes one which lots of other clubs then use it would be referred to

Just out of curiosity: why did you place "then" between "clubs" and "use" and not after "use"? What does "then" mean above? Does it have the same meaning as "consequently"? Also, is "it" the object of the verb "use"? I'm asking these questions because, as you probably know, I'm OCD about nuances. Again, many, many thanks for your kind help.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2018 10:36 am
@paok1970,
I suppose the then isn't strictly necessary but it does show sequence, Wenger designs a system, then the other clubs use it. One thing happens after the other.

paok1970

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2018 10:42 am
@izzythepush,
Thank you for your help and patience.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2018 10:43 am
@paok1970,
Sorry for taking so long to reply, I've been out all day.
dalehileman

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2018 01:35 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Both are correct and I don't have a preference.
Iz clearly you're much smarter than me. You know ab out this company or whatrever
izzythepush

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2018 02:33 pm
@dalehileman,
I know about premier league football.

Then again I don't really know anything about American sports.
0 Replies

paok1970

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2018 03:19 pm
@izzythepush,
Please take your time to answer my questions. Your help is really appreciated. Thanks again.

By the way, which team do you support?
izzythepush

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2018 05:49 pm
@paok1970,
https://store.saintsfc.co.uk/Images/Products/2014-15%20ranges/Car/Crest%20Car%20Sticker.JPG
0 Replies