Potting mix warning - deaths reported.

msolga

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 06:44 am
Gardeners warned of deadly potting mix
January 24, 2005/the AGE

Gardeners are being warned to handle potting mix with great care after three deaths in Victoria (Australia) were linked to a bacteria found in the mix.

Victorian Health Minister Bronwyn Pike said three Victorians died last year from legionella longbeachae, a bacterium commonly found in potting mix.

In at least two of the cases, the victims had been exposed to potting mix before their deaths, and 24 other cases of related illness were reported, she said.

In a third fatal case, potting mix was the likely cause of death, but this is yet to be fully confirmed, a spokesman for Ms Pike said.

Acting chief health officer John Carnie said different types of legionella bacteria all caused a rare form of pneumonia and early symptoms included fever, chills, headaches, shortness of breath, dry cough and muscle aches and pain.

Ms Pike said gardeners using potting mix should wear a mask to avoid breathing in dust, wear eye protection and wash hands and work clothes afterwards.

Gardeners should not shake a potting mix bag, and should moisten the content of a bag before opening it at arm's length.

Potting mix should be stored in a cool location and cleaned up while the product is damp.

AAP
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,839 • Replies: 30
No top replies

msolga

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 08:29 am
This really bothers me. I looks like you almost have to wear a space suit to use the stuff! Now I'm wondering if their are similar problems with products like compost & mulch.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 08:34 am
Did they name a particular brand or type? That's pretty damn scary!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 08:36 am
No, eoe, it seems to be a general warning. Sort of puts you off using the stuff, hey? Shocked
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 08:37 am
More info needed!!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 08:39 am
I'll fish around & see what I can find.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 08:46 am
Me too.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 08:49 am
This is sad; I hope these are isolated cases and originate from only one manufacturer of potting soil. I definitely would not want to wear a mask while gardening.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 08:55 am
Here's a report from the NSW government from 2002. Interestingly, all the reports are from Australia. Could it be something about potting mix HERE? Odd. Confused

http://www.health.nsw.gov.au/news/2002/August/06-08-02.htm
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 08:55 am
Aw, if you've handled the stuff all your life without problem, you still can.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 08:57 am
Hmmmmmmmmmmm
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 08:57 am
roger wrote:
Aw, if you've handled the stuff all your life without problem, you still can.

Yep, I agree.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 09:06 am
Just found another government report saying the same: Western Australian this time. It's interesting that all the reports of Legionnaires disease have occurred in Australia. Who knows what that means? Confused However, Oz government departments don't issue these sorts of warnings without good reason. They tend to be very cautious about these things.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 09:18 am
Just curious: We have warnings about handling potting mix printed on the packs here in Oz. Is that the case in the US?
Also, there have been a number outbreaks of Legionnaires disease here, too, fairly recently. The source of the infections have generally been traced back to particular buildings, air conditioning, plumbing, etc. Have there there been similar outbreaks in the US that any of you know of?
Just trying to get to the bottom of this. Confused
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 09:26 am
I've always assumed potting soil to be contaminated. While I've never worn a mask while handling it, I have taken care to wash my hands thoroughly after contact.

It just makes sense to me, having grown up on a farm. There's all sorts of critters in the soil from animal droppings alone, and the potting soil, while often enhanced, is still soil from womewhere animals have likely been. I would assume the same to be true of compost where people make their own that includes food scraps.

That said, I never would have thought it to require a government warning.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 09:31 am
Squinney

The warning is because people 3 died recently after contracting Legionnaires disease. It's believed this was as a result of infection from potting mix.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 09:38 am
Thanks for the warning. Have forwarded to friend in Australia.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 09:48 am
I handled potting soil just yesterday,
and it smelled really good and fresh.

What are the ingredients in australian potting soil msolga?
Since this never happened before, I'm hard pressed
to think that this is only one batch that got contaminated
by one particular manufacturer.

Otherwise thousands of people would be ill by now.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 09:55 am
I think I'm seeing a difference.

Potting MIX is the dry, light weight stuff. Potting SOIL is the rich, dark wet soil, right?

The MIX is dry, and often becomes airborn when opening the bag.

Just clarifying if we are talking about the same thing.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 09:58 am
Also, would have to look it up, but I think potting MIX has peat moss, so it would make since not to breath it.
0 Replies