WOULD in if-clauses

camlok

Reply Sat 20 Jan, 2018 06:19 pm
@centrox,
New business/corporate policies don't change/have any effect upon English grammar or the meanings of English words.
paok1970

Reply Sat 20 Jan, 2018 06:41 pm
@camlok,
From Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English:

https://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/i-would-be-grateful-if-you-could-would

BTW, What does "My beef is that....."? Is it an idiom? Is it an American set expression?
camlok

Reply Sat 20 Jan, 2018 06:57 pm
@paok1970,
My beef = my complaint, my problem with X

------------------

Do you have some questions about the Longman example sentences, Paok?

paok1970

Reply Sat 20 Jan, 2018 07:07 pm
@camlok,
https://i.imgur.com/U4Ph9mM.jpg

Do you find the use of "could" not "appropriate" (I don't know if it is the right word to use here) in the Longman example above?

Thanks again for your kind help.
layman

Reply Sat 20 Jan, 2018 07:14 pm
@centrox,
centrox wrote:

There. I said it.

Good work, Trox.

Samuel Johnson wrote:
“Do not accustom yourself to use big words for little matters.”
0 Replies

camlok

Reply Sat 20 Jan, 2018 07:26 pm
@paok1970,
Quote:
Do you find the use of "could" not "appropriate" (I don't know if it is the right word to use here) in the Longman example above?

'appropriate' is fine.

Context is everything in determining what language we use, Paok. This is the same for all languages.

The example sentence is fine, appropriate, fitting, dandy, alright, polite, ... .
'could' simply means, "if it is possible for you to ... ".

'most' added to grateful helps even more, as does "in due course".

Context is everything.

Make up some example sentences of your own. Then when you get some feedback that may help you a lot!
paok1970

Reply Sat 20 Jan, 2018 07:38 pm
@camlok,
Again, thank you very much for the help.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2018 07:15 am
@centrox,
centrox wrote:
"corporate bullshit" where people just fill up pages of stuff they they don't even believe themselves.

This is a favourite topic of mine at meetings with upper management. I once allowed myself to get a bit carried away (I actually said "bullshit") on this at a meeting with some fairly senior people. I thought "I'm near retirement, what can they do to me?". The next day I got a summons to a particularly senior manager and I thought "I'm for the high jump, or at least a chewing-out for disrespect". Nope. I got tasked with writing or vetting all the communications from our department. And got paid a bonus at the year end too.
0 Replies

laughoutlood

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2018 08:14 am
@paok1970,
Please email the catalogue and price list to www,paok. com.gr
0 Replies

laughoutlood

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2018 08:20 am
@centrox,
Quote:
OK. You made me do this (for which I thank you). I'll bring my own personal feelings about this kind of thing in here. You are absolutely right. It defies logic, and even common sense, to write stuff like that in business communications. I wonder if you could. I'd be grateful if you would. Etc. It is obsolete. I work in UK government finance. We have a thing called the "Plain English Campaign". Adoption of it has a long way to go! Put briefly, say what you mean. use short sentences. Use a readable typeface (12pt Arial). The idea is to avoid all those extra words that don't add anything, that just take up time typing them, that put a distance between the writer and the reader, and (in my own opinion) lead, by a fairly short path, to the realm of "corporate bullshit" where people just fill up pages of stuff they they don't even believe themselves.

There. I said it.

Succinctly.
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2018 09:05 am
@centrox,
Quote:
I'll bring my own personal feelings about this kind of thing in here. You are absolutely right. It defies logic, and even common sense, to write stuff like that in business communications.

And in the spirit of that declaration, I would off these alternatives:

Since sales are your bottom line, it would be foolish of you to not send us your latest catalog and price list pronto, as you are not the only fish in the sea.

Or: It would not be in your best interest to delay responding to our request for your latest catalog and price list since it is a fact that you need us more than we need you.

Or: If you're interested in selling your stuff--and who isn't--then send us your latest catalog and price lists before we turn our attention elsewhere.
Smile
0 Replies