Johnny Carson Dies at 79, of Emphysema

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2005 03:28 pm
For thirty years, from 1962 to 1992, Johnny Carson was the king of late night television. He died today, at 79, from emphysema.

To me, he was a showman beyond peer. No one has matched him since he left television over a decade ago. I will miss him.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/6504445/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,475 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2005 04:33 pm
I'm old enough to remember that Steve Allen was the original MC of the Tonight Show, but young enough to still think of the Tonight Show as the Johnny Carson Show. Ia gree, Phoenix, that nobody has matched him as a late night variety show host. There was a charm, a panache, a dash of elegance about him that's wholly lacking in the likes of Leno and Letterman.
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2005 04:53 pm
Carson endeavored to be subtle with his pandering... and often succeeded.
Leno and Letterman are ham-handed in comparison.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2005 05:40 pm
I wonder how many babies were concieved while Carson was on TV providing entertainment in the background.

When Johnny retired I like the way he enjoyed his life in a private way. He didn't hang on and do commercials or infomercials like so many older actors/entertainers do. Johnny Carson was such a classy man.

My fondest memory of the Tonight Show was when Johnny returned after Don Rickles had substituted for him and Johnny discovered his pencil box (or his cigarette box) I can't remember which, had been broken by Rickles during his absence. Carson was livid and stormed over to the set of CPO Sharkey and confronted Rickles with the broken box. It was the only time I ever saw Rickels speachless. Then another time, when he was interviewing Jack Nicklas and he asked Jack if his wife was a help to him in his golfing career. Nicklas replied "She kisses my golf balls before every game." And Carson answered, "Doesn't that make your putter flutter?"
Mr. Green
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 05:46 am
Anybody remember the bit with Ed Ames and the arrow, on the Carson show? That was a classic.

What really shocks me is that this thread has not gotten more "action" Johnny Carson was an icon, and had a tremendous influence on people for thirty years. I suppose most of the folks on A2K were too young to really remember Johnny in his heyday, before he cut the show down to an hour, and relied quite a bit on guest hosts!
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 06:34 am
Unless my memory has gone to shambles, Phoneix, I think there are some posts missing here. I remember checking last night and there were more posts. The hamsters burp again?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 08:02 am
MA- Since I wrote my last post, I noticed that there were a couple of other threads on Carson.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 08:26 am
For those who have never seen this, (and for those who want to see it again), here's the famous Ed Ames' clip. And BTW, it was a tomahawk, not an arrow! Embarrassed

http://www.johnnycarson.com/carson/index.jsp#
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 08:36 am
Another thread was started yesterday as well. Sorry Phoenix but it was the first one I got to.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 09:08 am
Quote:
"Democracy is buying a big house you can't afford with money you don't have to impress people you wish were dead. And, unlike communism, democracy does not mean having just one ineffective political party; it means having two ineffective political parties. ... Democracy is welcoming people from other lands, and giving them something to hold onto -- usually a mop or a leaf blower. It means that with proper timing and scrupulous bookkeeping, anyone can die owing the government a huge amount of money. ... Democracy means free television, not good television, but free. ... And finally, democracy is the eagle on the back of a dollar bill, with 13 arrows in one claw, 13 leaves on a branch, 13 tail feathers, and 13 stars over its head -- this signifies that when the white man came to this country, it was bad luck for the Indians, bad luck for the trees, bad luck for the wildlife, and lights out for the American eagle.

--Johnny Carson

Good night, Johnny.

Not many people can say they were the best for thirty years.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 09:55 am
Wow! Was that one of his monologues?
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 10:02 am
Yes. The NYT has an extensive bio/obit:

Jonny Carson, King of Late-Night, Dies at 79
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 10:05 am
I read the NYTimes earlier but somehow, I missed that.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 09:57 am
The New Yorker has re-published a profile of Johnny Carson from 1978 - too long to copy, so here's the LINK.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 01:13 pm
http://www.aarpmagazine.org/entertainment/Articles/a2003-01-21-wheresjohnny.html/page=1[URL=Here's the link]Webpage Title[/URL] for the AARP online obit. It'll be published as hard copy in AARP's forthcoming issue.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 01:14 pm
Dang! I still haven't learned how to do that thing where you don't post the whole URL. Oh, well. Hope the link works.
0 Replies