The phrase”Let’s call it a day”

TN

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2018 08:58 pm
I am a little bit confused as to whether it is correct to use the above phrase mentioned in the subject in the following situation:

You have a part in a company/school’s seminar which consists of many parts. Each part is given by a different person. The seminar itself is repeated each week with similar parts. When you finish your part, would it make sense or sound right to say, “We’d like to call it a day for now. Look forward to your participation next time.” Although my part is finished, the seminar itself will continue with different parts being delivered, which means the participants will not be going home.

I understand the meaning in the dictionary and it’s basic usage, but some reason it didn’t sound right to me.
If a native English speaker could give me the answer, it would be appreciated.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 995 • Replies: 2
No top replies

roger

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2018 09:50 pm
@TN,
Usually, and in this context in particular, calling it a day would mean shutting the entire thing for the rest of the day. If an individual's part were finished, he might say "I'm calling it a day." He would not say 'Let's'.
TN

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2018 12:41 am
@roger,
Now that I got your explanation, I feel relieved.
I’ll make sure to keep that phrase in mind.
Thank you so much.
0 Replies