How do you get to the internet?

steissd

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 01:19 pm
Dial-up. It meets my requirements. I do not watch movies online, and for general surfing speed of the dial-up connection is quite satisfactory.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 02:02 pm
I'm seeing that A2K pagination problem again..
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 02:32 pm
Dial-up, I've never even used a high-speed connection.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 05:23 pm
I just downloaded opera. Pretty quick so far. It'll take a while to get used to.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 07:25 pm
DIAL UP ! currently using a local provider which gives me 25 hours per month weekday time plus unlimited time on weekends(when i like to use the radio feature to listen to deutsche welle - should really get a shortwave receiver again) for canadian $150 per year. now looking at a service in toronto that offers unlimited access for can $9.95 per month(times 12 is.....?). i don't think i need faster service - unless the price comes down a LOT !
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 08:06 pm
Good luck at the Opera, Wilso! 'twas Stoat who recommended it to me.
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 10:33 pm
mediacom cable.
Quote:
Compared to all connection types worldwide, yours is fantastic

Anything less is like a tv without a remote.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2003 09:02 am
1024/256 DSL, 2 different providers, 2 different phonelines, with a dual-modem 56K dialup (another 2 separate phone lines) for backup. I "Daytrade" stocks, securities, and commodities, so I consider a 'net connection a vital, and tax-deductible, business tool. I also do contract network support, frequently using "Remote Desktop" and/or VPN. There are always at least 4, and often as many as 6 or 8 computers in my rig, and frequently all three 'net connections will be in use at one time, parcelled among the various machines for different purposes (a real networking challenge to set up in itself ... takes a little maintenance, too). Perhaps oddly, considering the system's capabilities, I don't do any "Music Swapping" or "Internet Radio", nor do I do any on-line gaming. A neighbor kid uses my system a few times a week, and she tells me "It Rocks" for those applications. I know she burns lots of CDs while she's here. Personally, I'm unsatisfied by the current quality of Internet MPEG Video and MP3 Audio.

I frequently use the paid version of Opera, and have seen the browser develop and improve nicely over the past few years. The current version works pretty well, except for some Microsoft Sites, most of the time. I really like the way it "Layers" browser windows ... makes it easy to watch several sites more or less simultaneously, which is a definite plus in financial trading.

timber
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2003 09:41 am
Timber, tell me, are there any big differences between bought and free Opera? Which OS do you use, microsoft, or something else?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2003 09:59 am
bigdice67, the major difference between the two versions is the paid version does away with the banner ads ... something I appreciate very much. There are enhancements to support as well, but I frankly have never used Opera's support. My primary OS is Win XP Pro, though for reasons of client support I also run Win98SE, Win2K, Linux (RedHat), and MAC OS9/10. All in all, I am becoming more and more satisfied with WinXP. I've been involved with it since it was "Whistler", and I am currently involved with "Blackthorn", slated to be the replacement for XP. One thing I will give Microsoft; they do considerable development and adjustment before releasing a product ... given all the faults and patches that come down the pike, some folks might think otherwise, but Beta-Testing their offerings before public release gives me a particular perspective on and appreciation for their efforts.

timber
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2003 10:05 am
I dial up! Shocked
0 Replies