Bush uses "Satanic Salute..." or so say Norwegians

DrewDad

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 10:24 pm
Norwegians confused by Bush family's 'Satanic salute' during inauguration

OSLO, Norway (AP) - President George W. Bush (news - web sites)'s "Hook 'em, 'Horns" salute got lost in translation in Norway, where shocked people interpreted his family's hand gesture during his inauguration as a salute to Satan.

http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/cpress/20050121/thumb.k012102au.jpg

That's what it means to the Nordics when you throw up the right hand with the index and pinky fingers raised, a gesture popular among heavy-metal groups and their fans in the region. "Shock greeting from Bush daughter," a headline in the Norwegian Internet newspaper Nettavisen said above a photograph of Bush's daughter Jenna, smiling and showing the sign.

For Texans, the gesture is a sign of love for the University of Texas Longhorns, whose fans are known to shout out "Hook 'em, 'Horns!" at sporting events.

Bush, a former Texas governor, and his family made the sign to greet the Longhorn marching band as it passed during the inaugural parade through Washington during Thursday's festivities, Norway's largest newspaper, Verdens Gang, explained to its readers.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,441 • Replies: 20
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 12:15 am
It startled me when I saw it in the paper. My neighbours do the same sign to ward off the devil/evil eye.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 04:18 am
Lol - that's what it means to me, too!

is it, like, a texan thing?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 04:37 am
Yes.

and the Texas Longhorns football team play as if they are cursed.

Joe( Hey, if it's football, how come we don't kick it more?)Nation
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 04:41 am
Hey! You, I and Olga are the only members here!!! We could do ANYTHING!!!!!
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 06:07 am
Too late. Now (7:06 EST US) there are 68 on line. Too late. We could have done anything. ah.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 06:15 am
Damn!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 07:22 am
I remember taking a course in college, where we discussed how different gestures have radically different meanings in various cultures. I am surprised that a world leader would not be sensitive to these differences, especially one which apprently has such an emotionally loaded connotation for some people.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 07:51 am
Hmmm - I can't believe I am saying this - but - for pete's sake!

The guy is at his inauguration - he's maybe a little excited - he gives a signal that obviously means a lot to his homies - a cosmopolitan, well-read man he isn't - mebbe people need to get over it!

The chances of him giving a demonic salute in reality are zilch, right?

This is a silly beat-up, I think.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 08:28 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
I remember taking a course in college, where we discussed how different gestures have radically different meanings in various cultures. I am surprised that a world leader would not be sensitive to these differences, especially one which apprently has such an emotionally loaded connotation for some people.

It usually takes an educated person to think that far in advance about thier actions. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 08:40 am
Bush has never been to an Ozzy concert.

Now, Jenna; she's been to see Gwar, I'm sure, so there's no excuse (even if she DID attend UT)...

http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20050120/i/r3443670747.jpg
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 09:00 am
On the news last night they were saying that in some parts of the world it also means something like "I hear what you're saying, but I aint buying it cause it's horsesh!t." and in sign language it's "bullsh!t."

Very interesting, indeed.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 09:07 am
They can script his speeches and dress him up like a man but they can't control his brain farts.
Guess who?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 09:09 am
I also seem to remember something about that gesture signifying a cuckold.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 09:13 am
that is sooooooo Nonna spitting at the evil eye
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 09:17 am
I had no idea that symbol had so many meanings.

I know it as the UT sign -- but I thought it also involved a pinky finger hook up thing too.

I have a friend who is a digital artist at a major photo finishing lab. His job requires him to search through group photos (like sports teams, etc.) looking for any hand gestures that may be offensive to anyone or that might be gang related. He has a little hand dictionary that he uses to replace troublesome hands.

Hey! Maybe he can get the White House account!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 11:07 am
It's BS in ASL, yep.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 12:15 pm
Lol - I thought of the sign against the evil eye - but also that the Bush family were triumphantly announcing a certain indelicate relationship with their viewer's spouses!

Looks like it's an only for texans moment....
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 12:20 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
I also seem to remember something about that gesture signifying a cuckold.

We commonly use it in France!
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 12:25 pm
Cultists and Secret Societies often have their little hand signs.
0 Replies