New theory on mass extinction - not asteroid????

dlowan

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 07:06 am
Just saw this - not sure how good the research is - any comments?

Volcanic eruptions, not asteroid caused mass extinction on Earth
Friday January 21 2005 15:16 IST
ANI

WASHINGTON: A new study conducted by researchers at the University of Washington suggests that atmospheric warming because of greenhouse gases triggered by erupting volcanoes caused the biggest extinction on Earth.

Researchers led by paleontologist Peter Ward said they have found no evidence for an impact at the time of "the Great Dying" 250 million years ago. It occurred at the boundary between the Permian and Triassic periods at a time when all land was concentrated in a supercontinent called Pangea.

"The marine extinction and the land extinction appear to be simultaneous, based on the geochemical evidence we found. Animals and plants both on land and in the sea were dying at the same time, and apparently from the same causes - too much heat and too little oxygen," ward said.

The Karoo Basin of South Africa has provided the most intensively studied record of Permian-Triassic vertebrate fossils. In their work, the researchers were able to use chemical, biological and magnetic evidence to correlate sedimentary layers in the Karoo to similar layers in China that previous research has tied to the marine extinction at the end of the Permian period.

Over seven years, they collected 126 reptile or amphibian skulls from a nearly 1,000-foot thick section of exposed Karoo sediment deposits from the time of the extinction. They found two patterns, one showing gradual extinction over about 10 million years leading up to the boundary between the Permian and Triassic periods, and the other for a sharp increase in extinction rate at the boundary that then lasted another 5 million years.

The scientists said they found nothing in the Karoo that would indicate a body such as an asteroid hit around the time of the extinction, though they looked specifically for impact clays or material ejected from a crater left by such an impact.

They contend that if there was a comet or asteroid impact, it was a minor element of the Permian extinction. Evidence from the Karoo, they said, is consistent with a mass extinction resulting from catastrophic ecosystem changes over a long time scale, not sudden changes associated with an impact.

Continuous volcanic eruptions in an area known as the Siberian Traps, warmed the planet, releasing large stores of methane gas frozen on the ocean floor to trigger runaway greenhouse warming, Ward said.

"It appears that atmospheric oxygen levels were dropping at this point also. If that's true, then high and intermediate elevations would have become uninhabitable. More than half the world would have been unlivable, life could only exist at the lowest elevations," he added.

http://www.newindpress.com/NewsItems.asp?ID=IE320050121045430&Page=3&Title=Features+-+Health+%26+Science&Topic=166

Other papers' versions of this story:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2002156517_global21.html

http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-warm21.html

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2005/01/21/MNG0GAU75D1.DTL

All clearly from one press release - which I can't seem to find.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,933 • Replies: 28
No top replies

Bibliophile the BibleGuru

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 07:19 am
This ties in with the biblical account of Noah's Flood.
The catastrophic events that are mentioned in Genesis 6-9 make it clear that plate tectonics, ocean floor subduction, massive volcanic eruptions, tsunamis, hypercanes, and enormous meterological perturbations were all in effect.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 07:28 am
Er - yes.....ahem.....
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 07:43 am
Heard this on NPR yesterday as well. This is the mass extinction that occured before the dino one. Everyone seems to agree that the dinos were wiped out my a metorite strike, but the argument that the earlier one was caused by a strike was pretty weak.
0 Replies

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 07:46 am
engineer wrote:
Heard this on NPR yesterday as well. This is the mass extinction that occured before the dino one. Everyone seems to agree that the dinos were wiped out my a metorite strike, but the argument that the earlier one was caused by a strike was pretty weak.

I don't agree. Neither do millions of Bible-believers who accept Noah's Flood as the direct evidence for their demise.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 07:56 am
engineer wrote:

Aaaaaah!!!! Thank you!!!! That clears a lot up - I thought they were discussing the dinosaur one - but was interested that they were calling it something different!!!!

I bolded your comment in my quote to draw attention to it.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 08:39 am
People and Dinos
Quote:
I don't agree. Neither do millions of Bible-believers who accept Noah's Flood as the direct evidence for their demise.

People and Dinos did not exist at the same time. Either you can except the fossil record on this or the biblical record that says that people do not go back millions of years. The Bible also doesn't mention dinos and certainly Noah made no effort to save them if they were around. You would think that creatures like dinos would have merited mention in Genesis if they had not already been purged.

This is not to dispute the Biblical flood, only to say that we are not talking about that mass extinction. We're discussing the two before that.
0 Replies

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 03:37 pm
Did you ever read Job 40? I think you'll find references there to dinosaurs! And oh yes, man and dinosaurs did exist together. Furthermore, Noah definitely had some on the Ark!
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 04:19 pm
Santa brought me a digital camera this year.

YAY!!!
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 04:41 pm
Bibliophile,

I haven't heard that one before (and I have heard most).

Are you saying that Job lived before Noah?
0 Replies

Idaho

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 05:28 pm
Job was most likely 2000 - 1800 B.C., after Noah.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 07:22 pm
dlowan wrote:
engineer wrote:

Aaaaaah!!!! Thank you!!!! That clears a lot up - I thought they were discussing the dinosaur one - but was interested that they were calling it something different!!!!

Engineer is correct. The 250myago extinction was way before th one which wiped out the dinosaurs. There have been several instances of mass extinction on the planet, probably for various reasons.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 07:26 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
Bibliophile,

I haven't heard that one before (and I have heard most).

Are you saying that Job lived before Noah?

Bib thinks that references to "Behemoth" in the bible were references to Dinosaurs. He had a fairly long thread on Abuzz on this a while back.

Sorry to speak for you on this Bib, but I happened to remember that thread. If I misunderstand your position on this, please feel free to set me straight Smile
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 07:30 pm
Is there some secret symbol on the door of this thread - like the one on Bilbo's door at the start of The Hobbit?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 08:10 pm
Biblio,

Two questions....

Do you believe that at least two of every land species was placed on the ark?

Do you say that no new species have developed (or been created) since the ark?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 08:19 pm
DEB, THIS STORY IS REALLY ABOUT 20 YEARS OLD AND INVOLVES A COUPLE OF GEOS FROM SYDNEY WHO FIRST PUBLISHED THAT THEYD FOUND A METEORITE CRATER OFF EAST OZ. THIS NEW DATA JUST HEATS UP THE CONTROVERSY. TTHERE ARE PLENTY OF PERMIAN BASALT FLOODS AS THIS WAS A TIME THAT THE CONTINENTS WERE BREAKING AND MANY OF THE CRACKS WENT DEEP, WE HAVE THE COLUMBIA BASALTS, DECCAN, SIBERIAN, NEWARK, FUNDY TRAPS AND THE KAROO. LOTS OF HOT WET VOLCANOES SPEWING H2S AND SUCKING OXYGEN.
I LIKE THE IDEA THAT MULTIPLE "HITS" DID EM IN. IT WAS A VERY VOLCANOEY TIME AND EVERY LITTLE SALAMANDER WAS SWEATING AND THE WATER BECAME ACIDIC, THEN BAAAMMM, A METEORITE WHACKED THE EARTH AND FINISHED EM OFF.

THE MOST INTERESTING THING TO ME IS THAT A VERY UNIMPOSING 2 FAMILIES OF KNOCK KNEED LIZARDS CALLED SYNAPSIDA AND THERAPSIDS MADE IT THROUGH THE GAS AND METEORITE AND HEAT. THESE WERE THE ANCESTORS OF MAMMALS.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 08:32 pm
Oh my!! That is interesting, Farmerman.
0 Replies

El-Diablo

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 09:25 pm
JOB 40! (You see I do have a Bible in my house lol)

Quote:
15 ΒΆ Behold now behemoth, which I made with thee; he eateth grass as an ox.
16 Lo now, his strength [is] in his loins, and his force [is] in the navel of his belly.
17 He moveth his tail like a cedar: the sinews of his stones are wrapped together.

Creationist point out the line "He moveth his tail like a cedar" in proof that this animal is a dinosaur. However it does not say "as big as a cedar" or "in comprable size of a cedar" but simply that he "moves his tail like a cedar" which by the way does not move. So in essence we must find an animal who does not swing his tail around alot (you can tell this is my interpretation with words like "alot" lol) in sharp movements since it must be still. It DOES NOT mean you must be LARGE AND OF THE SIZE OF A CEDAR.

Quote:
Furthermore, Noah definitely had some on the Ark!

Watch ourselves bib. Don't use the word "definately" without unequivocal proof to back it up. But i decided to do the research for you. Taken from a creationist website
Quote:

I find this humorous since they also DENY EVOLUTION BUT ACCEPT ZEBRAS DESCENDED FROM HORSES. So to have their theory without flaws in their own thinking we have to crunch numbers.

4,629 currently recognized species of mammals
x1.5 to compensate for animals now extinct
25,000 species of bugs
x3 for extinction BUT
/ by 200 since bugs don't take up as much room
8240 reptiles
x2 to compensate for extiction
5768 amphibians
x2 to compenstae for extinction
10,000 species of bird
x1.5 for extinction
250 species of dinosaur (THE MINUMUM AMOUNT)
/2 because i guess not all dinosaurs would survive
X1.3 because some dinosaurs were BIG and some small
WHICH EQUALS A WHOPPING 50,497 species to be concerned with and then multiply this by two to get 100,994 creatures in that boat.
AND
acoording to the bible
Quote:
19 You are to bring into the ark two of all living creatures, male and female, to keep them alive with you. 20 Two of every kind of bird, of every kind of animal and of every kind of creature that moves along the ground will come to you to be kept alive.

The bolded parts also imply that fungi plants protists and bacteria would have to have been taken. So with thousands of these species there plus enough room for supplies for 40 days for ALL THESE ANIMALS (including food) the Ark would have to be around 5 million cubic feet. However Bible only says it was 450 feet long, 75 feet wide and 45 feet high or about 1.5 million cubic feet which would give each species about 0.5 feet of room as an average (taking suplies and room for waste into account since each species would need as much room for supplies as it would for itself), which btw is not feasible.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 09:49 pm
El-Diablo wrote:
However Bible only says it was 450 feet long, 75 feet wide and 45 feet high or about 1.5 million cubic feet which would give each species about 0.5 feet of room as an average (taking suplies and room for waste into account since each species would need as much room for supplies as it would for itself), which btw is not feasible.

No problem El-D, God is all powerful, so all it did was to alter the geometry of space-time within the walls of the Ark to accomodate all the animals. The animals were also shrunk to the size of sand grains, so there was actually plenty of room to spare. Wink
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 12:21 am
OIC
0 Replies