What book do you recommend I read next ?

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2005 04:46 pm
Okay, I am going to get "The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy" after people recommended it after i asked what's the meaning of life. I also read reviews and everyone seem to found it entertaining and made you think at the same time.

Anyways, to get "Free shipping," I need to spend over 25 dollars, so now I can get another book, which do you recommend???

Another book by the same author of Hitchiker or what other book? Any suggestions? And please tell me why, because i'm sure other people will have suggestions too and I am only looking for one more book at this time.

Thanks, anyone?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,328 • Replies: 12
No top replies

chris56789

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 01:45 pm
Anyone know any sites that sell audio of books so I can just listen to it? Besides amazon cause they said it could take 5 to 7 weeks for the Hitch hicker guide to galaxy cassette tape to get to me and I don't want to wait that long.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 04:07 pm
Try your local library.
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 07:13 pm
You may want to try the Ultimate Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. It has all six books of the hitchhikers series. As far as the books on audio I don't know, I would prefer reading.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 07:27 pm
Douglas Adams also wrote a series of Dirk Gently: Holistic Detective" novels. Very funny stuff.
0 Replies

Allsixkindsamusic

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2005 11:52 am
John Keegan's "A History of Warfare" (A&R 1996): jump the von Clausewitz discussion and come back to it... Basic to understanding the who-what-where-when-why-how and with-what of men beating each other up. A fundamental to understanding how we (whoever we may be) got to be right where we are right now.

Arthur C Clarke's ODESSY series (2001, 2068 etc) and especially "Final Odessy 3001": rational discussion of physics, mortality and morality. "Deus designed, to modify is blasphemy..."

Pratchett et al "The Science of Discworld", a tongue-in-cheek catch-up on Science and its ideosynchracies. "Any sufficiently advanced technology can be mistaken for magic..."

Then listen to Leonard Cohen, and finally Google-up Saharasia...
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 12:10 am
Roger Zelazny's "Nine Princes in Amber" or David Eddings' "Pawn of Prophecy.
0 Replies

Allsixkindsamusic

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 11:49 am
Eddings, YES; but keep the best (Polgara and the old wolf) til near-last!

Raymond Feist ... especialy Honoured Enemy.

The Wheel of Time - now at about Book 10: the boss-lady was lured and shielded[/b] in enemy territory.
0 Replies

Bekaboo

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 02:03 pm
Yep - anything by Feist is a must!! (Especially the Magician trilogy - and the Empire trilogy is pretty good too!)
And the Wheel of Time (which is by Robert Harris by the way) is well worth the read altho the last couple of books (10 especially) get a bit tedious...
0 Replies

Allsixkindsamusic

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 03:07 pm
Yes, when Rand Al-Thor cleaned the male source and reinvented Travelling, they all ran nose-first into communications problems, i.e. a hell of a lot of ducks to keep in line all at once and people secret-agendering about all over! No relation to today's reality?

Jean Auel's "Clan" quintology: "Dune" (that got a bit wierd, then came the three final books, mostly posthumous: Houses Atreides, Harkonnen and Corrino.

From age 12 my younger son and I have been keeping each other up to date: I'm trying to steer him into techno-thrillers like Tom Clancey.

And Wislawa Szymborska's Chwila/Moment, side-by side Polish with English translation: it's rare as rocking-horse pooh tho.
0 Replies

Vicki G

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 07:45 am
You might like 1632 by Eric Flint. It's about a whole town in modernday America that gets swooped back to 1632 and slung across the Atlantic to plop down in German turff in the middle of the 30 Year War. This is the first in a series that I really enjoy.
0 Replies

Allsixkindsamusic

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2005 05:22 pm
"The Great Indian Novel"
Shashi Tharoor's The Great Indian Novel must be one of the most beautifully told tales, in absolutely superb English. It is based in the Ramayana and set in 1930s India - I won't spoil the surprise more than to say that the story is a fiction about a legendary man. Tharoor writes for Newsweek.

A little more on Keegan's A History of Warfare: It is not a book about killing: Keegan describes all facets of war like geography and logistics (Napoleon and Hitler were defeated by weather and distance) and why certain parts of the world became "traditional" battlegrounds (Belgium, Poland). He traces the development of weapons systems. Six thousand years ago the horse had not been developed to ride, but could pull a charriot containing a driver and an archer: mechanised warfare goes back a long way. Another important system was a powerful, recurved bow short enough that a horseman could use it.

But what is most interesting is his analysis of fighting styles: from the set-piece battle with serried ranks of brilliantly dressed soldiers, to the harass-and-terrify methods first of the Steppes Horsemen and now of any group of guerillas facing a formal army.

Overall, Keegan described in 1996 why The West is mired in Iraq; and indicates how and why it will continue for years to come.

And there's deep military philosophy of another kind in Joseph Heller's Catch 22; which could also explain a lot of the problems the US faces in Iraq.
0 Replies

ponytail

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 01:03 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Try your local library.

Excellent advice. I always try to read books from my library first and if I love them then I go out and buy a copy. Also if your library does not have a book you want you can request it and they can either buy a copy for their collection or get it on loan from another library.
0 Replies