1
   

Is This Plausible?

 
 
Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 08:31 am
Disclaimer...I don't plan to do it...help anyone doing it...suggest it...or condone it...it's an academic question...no black helicopters please....


Could a really determined terrorist have explosives and a remote detonator surgically implanted in his/her body and just walk up close to their intended target and have someone blow them up[no pun intended) from a remote location?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 839 • Replies: 14
No top replies

 
Vengoropatubus
 
  1  
Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 08:35 am
Is the terrorist working with a ninja?

Serious response: probably, although I'm not sure how long they would live, so you might have to do it pretty close to when you want to do it and it might be suspicious to have the large and fresh surgery scars you would sustain from the operation.
0 Replies
 
blueveinedthrobber
 
  1  
Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 08:37 am
Vengoropatubus wrote:
Is the terrorist working with a ninja?

Serious response: probably, although I'm not sure how long they would live, so you might have to do it pretty close to when you want to do it and it might be suspicious to have the large and fresh surgery scars you would sustain from the operation.


I would think it could be done with minimal invasion...and remember you'd only be talking about enough explosives to do you and a couple of intended targets from close range...what does Rummy call that? A surgical strike?
0 Replies
 
FreeDuck
 
  1  
Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 09:16 am
I would think the potential for a misfire would be pretty high. But sure, I guess it's possible. I wonder how a bomb sniffing dog would respond.
0 Replies
 
roger
 
  1  
Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 09:33 am
If this were a movie, right about now they would show us some footage of a kid setting his radio control car on the sidewalk.
0 Replies
 
FreeDuck
 
  1  
Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 09:40 am
Laughing
0 Replies
 
Phoenix32890
 
  1  
Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 09:40 am
Quote:
Could a really determined terrorist have explosives and a remote detonator surgically implanted in his/her body and just walk up close to their intended target and have someone blow them up[no pun intended) from a remote location?


Hey, people smuggle drugs in their bodies all the time. It is not a great leap of imagination that explosives could be hidden in body cavities too. Surgery probably wouldn't even be needed. Whether you could cram enough explosives to do much damage is a question for the science minded amongst us!
0 Replies
 
Brandon9000
 
  1  
Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 10:13 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
...Whether you could cram enough explosives to do much damage is a question for the science minded amongst us!

I think this would really be the limiting factor.
0 Replies
 
rosborne979
 
  1  
Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 11:38 am
Re: Is This Plausible?
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Could a really determined terrorist have explosives and a remote detonator surgically implanted in his/her body and just walk up close to their intended target and have someone blow them up[no pun intended) from a remote location?


Probably easier to inject the person full of nasty contagious virus (Let's pick one at random... oh, let's say, Military Smallpox for example) and then buy her and here friends a round trip ticket to see the world with stops at such lovely ports as New York, Washington, Chicago, Los Angeles, London, Paris, Madrid, Sydney and Cairo. Metal detectors and bomb sniffing dogs won't have a clue, and you can probably get a nice worldwide dispersal in less than a week.

A global pandemic could be a bit risky to the "home crowd", but if you're a true fanatic, then you're probably going to a better afterlife anyway, just let the chips fall where they may...

(the world is a very dangerous place, and the best defense starts with minimizing the motivations behind such attacks, but that's probably a discussion for another thead).
0 Replies
 
blueveinedthrobber
 
  1  
Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 11:42 am
Re: Is This Plausible?
rosborne979 wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Could a really determined terrorist have explosives and a remote detonator surgically implanted in his/her body and just walk up close to their intended target and have someone blow them up[no pun intended) from a remote location?


Probably easier to inject the person full of nasty contagious virus (Let's pick one at random... oh, let's say, Military Smallpox for example) and then buy her and here friends a round trip ticket to see the world with stops at such lovely ports as New York, Washington, Chicago, Los Angeles, London, Paris, Madrid, Sydney and Cairo. Metal detectors and bomb sniffing dogs won't have a clue, and you can probably get a nice worldwide dispersal in less than a week.

A global pandemic could be a bit risky to the "home crowd", but if you're a true fanatic, then you're probably going to a better afterlife anyway, just let the chips fall where they may...

(the world is a very dangerous place, and the best defense starts with minimizing the motivations behind such attacks, but that's probably a discussion for another thead).[/quote[/b]]

you are preaching to the choir...oh but I wish everyone would listen and agree to that and make it their litany...no profit in it though...
0 Replies
 
Brandon9000
 
  1  
Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 01:07 pm
Regarding the biological agent scenario, note that a relatively low budget operation (a few million dollars???) with a small number of people could produce a disproportionately large effect. This so called asymmetric threat is a serious problem facing the world today.
0 Replies
 
blueveinedthrobber
 
  1  
Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 01:11 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Regarding the biological agent scenario, note that a relatively low budget operation (a few million dollars???) with a small number of people could produce a disproportionately large effect. This so called asymmetric threat is a serious problem facing the world today.


How to keep the carriers alive and healthy seeming enough to get them around?
0 Replies
 
Brandon9000
 
  1  
Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 01:13 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Regarding the biological agent scenario, note that a relatively low budget operation (a few million dollars???) with a small number of people could produce a disproportionately large effect. This so called asymmetric threat is a serious problem facing the world today.


How to keep the carriers alive and healthy seeming enough to get them around?

Maybe choose a bug or modify one to get a suitable incubation period. If the carrier went on a tour of the US, you might have many separate epicenters for the outbreak. The really scary aspect here is that if you almost always catch the people who try this in time, but finally one gets through, you still lose.
0 Replies
 
blueveinedthrobber
 
  1  
Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 01:16 pm
makes sense. and you're right...scary.
0 Replies
 
rosborne979
 
  1  
Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 02:40 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Maybe choose a bug or modify one to get a suitable incubation period. If the carrier went on a tour of the US, you might have many separate epicenters for the outbreak. The really scary aspect here is that if you almost always catch the people who try this in time, but finally one gets through, you still lose.


In my opinion, this is the underlying threat which the US government is actually worried about.

Pandemics are almost inevitible, and even nature herself is overdue to hit us with one, and that could be bad enough, but a manmade military virus might be far worse.

Natural Pandemics might be assuaged (but not eliminated) with vaccinations *if* we get enough warning, but high contagion, lethal viruses moving under planned delivery through air travel might be more than the human race could handle. We don't know yet, and governments probably don't know yet either.

Usually scenario's like this are unlikely because governments don't want to risk self extinction due to a pandemic, but fanatics don't have this limitation, so fanaticism itself becomes the primary enemy, and bombs and viruses just the expression of its insanity.
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

Evolution 101 - Discussion by gungasnake
Typing Equations on a PC - Discussion by Brandon9000
The Future of Artificial Intelligence - Discussion by Brandon9000
The well known Mind vs Brain. - Discussion by crayon851
Scientists Offer Proof of 'Dark Matter' - Discussion by oralloy
Blue Saturn - Discussion by oralloy
Bald Eagle-DDT Myth Still Flying High - Discussion by gungasnake
DDT: A Weapon of Mass Survival - Discussion by gungasnake
 
  1. Forums
  2. » Is This Plausible?
Copyright © 2020 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 09/27/2020 at 09:58:28