He was appointed (the) manager of the office

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2018 01:09 am
Is it "He was appointed manager of the office" or "He was appointed as the manager of the office"?

Thank you
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 506 • Replies: 4
No top replies

layman

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2018 01:42 am
@paok1970,
[img][/img]
paok1970 wrote:

Is it "He was appointed manager of the office" or "He was appointed as the manager of the office"?

Thank you

That one's a little tricky. Instead of "manager," I'll use "President." Standing alone that is a title of an office, a status, a position, or whatever you might want to call it. Whoever holds it is "the President."

For example:

Trump was elected President. (not "the" president, although you might say elected to the office of President, or elected to be President). On the other hand, you would say:

Trump is the President.

So, in your case, I would say (if asked) that he is "the manager" because he was appointed to that position.

From the example I gave, "appointed manager" would be preferred to appointed as the manager, althouigh I personally wouldn't use either phrasing.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2018 12:46 pm
@paok1970,
Wow Paok I'z really 'pres'd by Lay's resp !! and had to read it four times b4 'lized that my answer woulda been wrong !!

'Tricky' as heck gott'gree
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2018 02:42 pm
@paok1970,
The 'as the' makes me suppose there were several positions to be filled but the ultimate decision was in favor of manager, the word being slightly emphasized

So Lay whaddya think
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2018 12:01 pm
@paok1970,
So Paok was my resp any good or was it as usu

'N so Man whaddya say
0 Replies