Sigma? Spearman's Rank?

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2005 03:55 am
Can some please explain to me what a sigma is, and how to use it in Maths? Also, can someone please explain what Spearman's Rank Correlation Coefficient is used for? I need to put these into my Statistics coursework! Thankz!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,457 • Replies: 5
No top replies

paul andrew bourne

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2005 10:39 am
Sigma and Spearman's Correlation
By Paul Andrew Bourne, MSc. (pending); BSc. (Hons) Economics and Demography

Spearman's Correlation

Among the various statistical techniques that are used to measure significance, Spearman is one such. This technique is used with a level of measurement that is ordinal by nature. Furthermore, level of significance speaks specifically to whether or not a statistical relationship exists between variables that are compared from a population sample. On seeking to statistical test whether or not a relationship exists between independent variable(s) and dependent variable(s), from ordinal variables, at a two tailed or one tailed level of significance, at a two(2) tailed level of significance a P value which is less than .005 indicates a relationship between the variables that are under investigation. Further, if a significane exist, the correlation value is an indication of two things. The two issues are strength and direction. That is, if the value is more than .7 (i.e. 70 percent) it is strong; if the correlation lies between 50 and less thatn 70 percent it is moderate and other if less than 50 it is weak.

Sigma

This is a Greek representation of space between plain surfaces.
This symbol of angle representation is calculated by either sine, cosine, tangent, cosecant, secant and or cotangent.
0 Replies

markr

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2005 12:18 pm
Given that (s)he's taking statistics (not geometry or trigonometry), (s)he's probably more interested in knowing that sigma is the Greek letter used to represent standard deviation.
0 Replies

brimstone

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 07:45 am
Thanks! (BTW, I'm he!)
0 Replies

satanonholiday

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2005 05:43 pm
there are 2 types of sigma (small and large) small sigma is the symbol used for varience and large sigma is the symbol for the sum of
the formula for spearman's rank is:

product = 1- (6*Sum of the difference squared divided by the sum of the frequency (sum of the frequency squared - 1))

or

p = 1- ( 6 * SIGMA d² / n (n² -1))
0 Replies

Bekaboo

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2005 03:08 am
Just because i read that through and thought "eh?" since i expected an end to the sentence I'm gonna clarify

Large sigma is the symbol for the sum of whatever value you are using e.g.

If values of x are 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Then ∑x is 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5
0 Replies