organic gardening

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2005 05:51 pm
halo. my "screen" name is filipendula which is also called queen of the meadow and has the most bright neon-type pink coloured flowers in the early spring.

i am new to this wonderful site AND of course, new to this forum, but i would like to offer my services to anyone who is interested, to learn how to take care of your plants, inside your house and outside, without chemicals. this is called organic gardening and it and one other topic, which is xeniscaping, which is learning how to landscape with as little water as possible...if you live in a desert and/or area of america which is undergoing drought.

i not only have an allergy to certain chemicals, i also believe it's VERY VERY bad to use chemicals when it's not necessary....and you know what? it's NEVER necessary!!! there is ALWAYS a non-chemical method to take care of bugs...like aphids, whitefly, leafy mold, etc.; molds, mildews, etc.

even when you use chemical fertilisers on your grass...do you know where those chemicals go? they enter the soil and, eventually, after rain and/or snow, the leach out through the soil into the underground artesian well water....in some places, the water is closer to the root levels and can end up washing out into local brooks, creeks, streams...and even into larger bodies of water like lakes, rivers, and OCEANS!! is it so important to you to kill crabgrass and have greener grass that you're willing to poison water supplies and critters which live in those bodies of water?? sure, you're prolly thinking, "it's just me and i'm just one person," but multiply that by all the people in your neighbourhood and then by all the neighbourhoods in your town and then in your state...how much poison is that?

it's bad enough YOU are being poisoned by chemicals you think you have no control over...like monsanto's crossing genes to supposedly cut down on damage done by insects by putting the poison that kills those insects INTO the foods you EAT!!! like corn, potatoes, tomatoes, etc. and in america, most regretably, neither the people who sell seed and/or plants which contain these cross genes nor the grocers who sell the finished product...none of them have to tell you that you are, indeed, buying and/or eating products which contain chemicals which kill bugs....what do you think it'll do to YOU??

so, let's start at the beginning. let's start with learning how to control the bad things with good things...ok? and then, maybe, someday, we can all get together and change things. OK???? i'm ready...are you?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 773 • Replies: 9
No top replies

neko nomad

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2005 09:34 pm
Hello, filipendula, and welcome to the Pets and Gardens forum. Like your approach to gardening.

Think spring (click): http://sc.groups.msn.com/tn/9A/10/TheRavensRealm/7d/1ebf.jpg
0 Replies

filipendula

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 10:35 am
thanks
i'm kinda dismayed not to have received any responses to my posting about organic and/or xeniscaping gardening!!

mebbe it's just the wrong time of year? ;o( although, december 21st, being the winter solstice is also the time of new beginnings...even though my ground is frozen to a depth of about 4 feet! it's time to think of defeating the four and 6-legged destructors....dunno how come no one has made a video game of the monsters in the garden.

but thanks for the welcome, sorta.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 04:39 pm
filip--

Wait for the spring thaw. Gardeners need all sorts of patience.
0 Replies

Mrs LD

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2005 07:35 am
Hey flipendula, I too am a new member here. Also Organic Gardner's. Hubby has been doing so for the last 21+ year's. We use NO chemical's on the Garden what's so ever. We know what we have planted & what is on the stuff & that we wont get sick from un-wanted or un-needed chemical's.
0 Replies

neko nomad

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2005 11:49 am
Fili:
It may help to get a discussion going if you'd elaborate on your concept of Organic Gardening, plus some personal anecdotes, so as to provide "for examples".

Personally I avoid using chemicals whenever it's practical. One notable exception: my lilies. If anyone has an organic way to control the red lily beetle, do us gardeners a favor and let us know.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2005 12:53 pm
neko nomad wrote:

Personally I avoid using chemicals whenever it's practical. One notable exception: my lilies. If anyone has an organic way to control the red lily beetle, do us gardeners a favor and let us know.

Control the lilies daily - that's the only advice I've found on a German organic gardener's website. :wink:
0 Replies

neko nomad

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2005 01:14 pm
The old thumb -and-forefinger squeeze, Walter?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2005 01:29 pm
Yes, that's what it says :wink:
0 Replies

neko nomad

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2005 02:06 pm
That's what I figured long ago, Walter. The religiously organic gardener needs to have low expectations for lilies then.

Controlling beetles by hand necessitates unnaturally tidy flower beds, since a compost top-dressing benefits the pest as well as the plant.

Therefore, I make lilies the exception-- systemic pesticide, applied sparingly and when the plant emerges is, I think, a satisfactory compromise.
0 Replies