Please tell me what is "muscular tone"

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 06:48 am
I am leaning about evolutionary anthropology.
The phrase" muscular tone" is a physiological term relevant to animal heath condition, but I don't know the exact meaning of it. Please help me on this term.
Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 822 • Replies: 5
No top replies

engineer

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 07:49 am
Try a search engine?
Did you try a search engine?

Google Search Result
0 Replies

Neoquixote

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2005 10:03 am
Thank you first.
I have tried, but all what I got were some contexts in which " muscular tone" acts as a phrase that seems to be a familiar term for people with common sense, no definition of it has been found.
So I know that it is is a physiological term relevant to animal heath condition. but I don't know it's precise meaning.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2005 10:20 am
I believe you are confusing this by substituting an adjective with a noun in your phrase, Neoq.

"Muscle tone" refers to the appearance of of the body's muscles (and sometimes tendons) under skin that is obvious to the eye. You'll see the phrase most commonly appearing in reference to bodybuilders of both genders, or anyone who has spent a lot of time exercising, as it relates to their arms, legs, chest or other body part.

Slang includes "ripped" and "cut".

"Muscular" would refer to a condition of having well-developed muscles. Sort of the same thing as having good muscle tone, though one could have good muscle tone without being muscular.

So not only in humans but in animals you can observe muscle tone when you see them running, as for example 'the rippling, muscular haunches of a tiger as he chases a wildebeest across the Serengeti'.

Does this help?
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2005 10:42 am
after you check the meaning of "muscular" and "tone", you can read this :

Quote:
The tone of the skeletal muscles is secured in part through the stream of efferent impulses carried over the tracts already described. In addition to these impulses, a constant stream of sensory impulses from joint surfaces, viscera, skin and muscles alternately contracting and relaxing during movements of the body, act upon the cells of the anterior horn and stimulate them to constant, slight, normal activity, so that the muscles innervated therefrom are kept in that condition of slight contraction called muscular tone. Structural conditions which lessen this stream of sensory impulses to the centers for the skeletal muscles lessen their tone, cause muscular weakness, and lessen their nutrition.

and read this as well :
muscular tone
0 Replies

Neoquixote

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 09:12 pm
Thank you. you are all so kind.
0 Replies