Why is my Kitten Crying?

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 07:56 am
I have another question, my cat whines whenever I am around, i.e. my boyfriend gets home before me and the cat plays and everything. An hour later, when I get home, the cat follows my around, crying unless I pick him up, but he won't leave me alone, I pick him up and then eventually put him down and he just whines and follows me some more! What do I do??
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 27,733 • Replies: 18
No top replies

snood

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 07:59 am
I have two black longhaired domestics who are brothers from the same litter - George and Joe. they're about 3 yrs old now - I got 'em when they were about 6 months. Ever since I've had them, every once in a while Joe will follow me around and cry - sometimes picking him up helps, sometimes not. I used to worry about it alot - thought it might be a health problem, or something. Now I just figure it's part of his personality I can't figure out.
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 08:05 am
We have same with one of our two siblings of one litter.
Mysan can sit in front of the door to our walk-in and cry, wanting to get in there. This is a no-no area, so we figure she can cry all she wants to. It's sometimes annoying, since she tends to do in the middle of the night. She'll stop eventually, but only after I've been calling her name a couple of times.

I think all she wants is our attention besides wanting to go into the walk-in.
Like Snood said, personality.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 08:48 am
I have a 5yr old domestic short hair . Black also.
She is very verbal. But for her it MEANS something. Usually.. her water isnt fresh, food low, litter box needs changing etc. She knows that I have all that stuff on a schedule so anticipation starts her ' talking' .. about 7pm I change her water out ( everyday) and then top off her food, or wash her bowl if necessary. 630 on the DOT she starts talking, HAHAH!!
Some other times she will do this through out the day. I got her when she was only 3 weeks old. Her mom was killed by a car in my friends drive way. So we found her kittens and every 2 1/2 hours fed them, wiped them with wet rags ( to feel like thier mom ) cleaned thier bedding etc...
My cat, Kitten, thinks of me as her MOM . Literally.
She still kneeds on me when she gets hungry.
But I have learned over the years ( long story sorry ) that her ' talking ' is just that... communication. It may/may not mean a thing at all other then ' Hi how are ya?"
If your cat is young, and she is crying when other people are there then yeah,. she needs you. She has placed you in the care taker role . Reaching down and petting her helps? Have you checked her food when she does this? Her water?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 09:01 am
Not every time he cries, because it's pretty often. But I will make a mental note to start looking for something that needs fixed, when he starts up.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 09:07 am
But, there may also be nothing wrong. You just may have a talkative cat. But it is a good idea to see if anything is wrong first before you dismiss her babble as just that. And then after you are sure there isnt anything wrong, you may really come to enjoy the fact that your cat is ' greeting you ' at the door, or is trying to tell you about all the secret invisible monsters he has saved you from through out the day. hehhehe
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 09:52 am
shewolfnm wrote:
But, there may also be nothing wrong. You just may have a talkative cat. But it is a good idea to see if anything is wrong first before you dismiss her babble as just that. And then after you are sure there isnt anything wrong, you may really come to enjoy the fact that your cat is ' greeting you ' at the door, or is trying to tell you about all the secret invisible monsters he has saved you from through out the day. hehhehe
I agree, I don't think there is anything wrong with him because he only cries to me, nobody else, not even my boyfriend who lives with us. I think he jsut wants my attention, but I am not sure why, we have only had him for 5 days now. So he couldn't have bonded with me that much yet
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 10:00 am
In five days, he sure could have.
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 10:02 am
roger wrote:
In five days, he sure could have.
Yes but why wouldn't he do it to my boyfriend also, he plays with him and spends time with him just as much as I do!!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 10:02 am
He is a baby and he is in a weird place with weird people....and now you are becoming familiar. He associates you with food, water, attention and love. So when you go away, he gets sad. This will probably pass as he grows accustom to his new surroundings. Make sure he has his own little area to retreat to when he is scared or wants to sleep or just "be alone". I think once he is there for a while, he will take on a more "typical" cat behavior. But then again, some cats are very affectionate and he might just want to snuggle all the time. :wink:
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 10:24 am
Well I am taking him to get his shots a week from today, should I talk to the vet?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 10:33 am
Yeah, kitten behavior changes with age. It's gotten to the point I don't even have to lock up the toilet paper before leaving the house.

Sure, talk to the vet about this. You've already paid for the office visit, and if you have a vet that doesn't talk back, and seem sympathetic, get the booster shots somewhere else.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 04:50 pm
Both my daughters have cats who talk to them constantly - with them it is an attention seeking behaviour - when I'm on the phone to them I can usually hear a lot of miaowing in the background.

When my mum and dad look after one daughter's cat when they go on holiday she wails as soon as she's used her litter tray - she likes it cleaned straight away!

Rosie we've had since she was 2 weeks old (orphaned), like shewolf we did the regular feeding and washing and she thinks I'm mom and safety etc She never learnt talk and only miaows when she's desperate to come in or something - she'll scrabble at the door for a while first though. She very very rarely purrs and then almost silently for a very short time - she has a sweet and loving face and pushes herself against you, cuddling up but no purring Sad I think it's because she didn't have a cat mum to teach her. She has a nice line in growls and bad language if things don't suit. She makes her feelings very clear on subjects! When we brought Paddy home she hated him and was frightened and didn't understand cat language - she'd lie in my arms and moan and growl for half an hour at a time, complaining about us bringing in this usurper! they are fine now.

So - the cat is miaowing for a reason - probably just attention and reassurance but it is worth checking hunger/litter tray/drink etc
0 Replies

Mrs LD

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2005 08:54 am
I have a 3 year old indoor cat who meow's very little unless he is hungry. Even then his meow is a squeak. He was the runt of the litter. Weighed in at 1 pound. He is still very small for a 3 yr. old nutered male. 10 lbs. at the most. They will meow for different reason's but mainly if they want something. Mine was pretty sick in Dec. of last year. Not eating or drinking. Coughing & wheezing. Had him on medication but I had to put it in some canned for in order for him to eat it. Now he BEG'S for his canned food.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2005 09:14 am
Hi, Mrs. L.D. Glad you could drop in. Have you checked out The Cat Room yet?
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2005 05:04 pm
Cats are such amazing creatures. Smile And all with such different and unique personalities. One of my males, Duncan, will literally come and tell me when HE thinks it is time for me to go to bed.. He'll talk and talk and talk on endlessly until I ask him if he is ready for bed and then he high tails it up the stairs and jumps on the bed waiting for me to arrive.

Widget, my youngest is incredibly social and every time I have to use the bathroom, she has to come and see what is going on. Doesn't matter that she may be sound asleep upstairs, it's like she instinctively knows when I go into the bathroom, she must go too. And she always requires a few chin scratchings or pets from me while I sit and do my business. She always waits for me to finish and then goes back to her own business. Another quirk she has, is that she hates the sound of the coffee grinder in the morning, but she feels she must stay by my side until the noise stops. As she watches and hears the beans being poured into the grinder she begins meowing. I always reach down and give her some loving pets with one hand as I press the grinder button with the other. Again, as soon as the grinding stops, she is off to find other things to do.

It sounds to me like your cat is fast becoming very attached to you in spite of your boyfriend giving her attention and play. It could just be the difference in personalities that the cat picks up on. Your boyfriend could be the "playtime guy" where you are the "nurturing mom". Sometimes nurturing mom is needed more when they are young. Smile

BTW....I have 5 cats and definitely need to get back to the Cat Room! Smile
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 07:11 am
Well thank you everyone.. Well my kitten is almost 15 weeks now... he stills cries constantly.. I come home and here him through my front door... But once he is around people he is quiet for about a minute... then he justs meows and moews... he has conversations with me too.... But he still cries and cries and cries!!
0 Replies

tatacats

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2009 06:55 pm
@Crazielady420,
pet him til he falls asleep, then lay him down on a comfortable couch, chair, or bed. Pet him if he's not asleep. When he falls asleep, walk away SLOWLY. If he wakes up and follows, try again!
0 Replies

NotNicky

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2011 10:08 pm
@Crazielady420,
This thread was perfect for me. It describes my kitten exactly. My boyfriend and I live together. We just adopted her and brought her home a week ago. She is a black and white 9-week old kitten named Moo Moo. She follows me around like a baby duckling would follow it's Mama. She is constantly meowing for my attention. She hates it when I'm cooking because she can't be up next to me, the counters are too high for her. (Or at least I think so.) She also hates when I'm on the computer because my attention is on it. (Again, that's what I think.) I pet her a lot and even try to take her into my lap when I'm on the computer but a minute later she wants to get down. Five minutes later she's meowing at me again. I check her food, water, etc. and it's fine 99% of the time. She loves my boyfriend too and gets excited when he comes home, but she's not very vocal with him. I honestly think it's just because I'm her mommy and she loves attention. A LOT. She has a funny personality.
0 Replies