I Have Problems Or I'm Having Problems?

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2017 11:37 am
Which of the following should I use or write in a follow-up message?

1) I'm writing back because I have problems understanding the meaning of the sentence you gave/give.

2) I'm writing back because I'm having problems understanding the meaning of the sentence you gave/you give.

In your own words, how would you say?

Finally, should I use "you gave" or "you give" in the two sentences above?

Thank you
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 347 • Replies: 4
No top replies

AngleWyrm-paused

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2017 11:46 am
1). I have problems, and they're in the kitchen cooking breakfast.
2). I'm having problems, but the exterminator said it would be an easy fix.

The first one is timeless, a statement that often implies an unchanging truth about the subject. The second one places the situation into the current moment.
centrox

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2017 03:05 pm
@AngleWyrm-paused,
AngleWyrm-paused wrote:
1). I have problems

The first one is timeless, a statement that often implies an unchanging truth about the subject.

When I say "I have a cold", or "I have a headache", or "I have an idea", I am not implying that they are perpetual conditions.
0 Replies

AngleWyrm-paused

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2017 03:12 pm
Quote:
"1). I have problems ... The first one is timeless, a statement that often implies an unchanging truth about the subject"

When I say "I have a cold", or "I have a headache", or "I have an idea", I am not implying that they are perpetual conditions.

That's a use of "have" as possession; the word "have" could be extended to "have possession of" and the sentence would still send the same message.

The description timeless means present perfect tense.
centrox

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2017 03:26 pm
@AngleWyrm-paused,
AngleWyrm-paused wrote:
That's a use of "have" as possession; the word "have" could be extended to "have possession of" and the sentence would still send the same message.

The description timeless means present perfect tense.

Do you just make it up as you go along?
0 Replies