UK chart's No. 1 this week: ELVIS!

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 01:20 pm
Quote:
Elvis regains top chart position

Elvis Presley has scored his 19th number one single in the UK charts with the re-release of Jailhouse Rock, 27 years after his death
Elvis knocked X Factor winner Steve Brookstein down into second place after three weeks in the charts.

In at number three was Iron Maiden for the Number Of The Beast and Erasure entered the chart at four with Breathe. Elvis's number one is the 999th in chart history and comes the day after what would have been his 70th birthday.

Fans around the world held tribute events for the singer on Saturday, ranging from concerts to memorabilia exhibitions.

Meanwhile, a poll carried out by royalty payments group the Performing Rights Society found that The Wonder of You is the Elvis song most performed by live bands and tribute acts.

Record company SonyBMG are releasing Elvis's 18 number one singles at the rate of one a week in Britain, complete with original artwork and a collector's box.

Hit single One Night will follow next week - with the chance of becoming the 1,000th number one as interest surrounding Elvis's birthday grows.

Elsewhere in the singles charts, the Scissor Sisters went straight in at number five with Filthy/Gorgeous.

Band Aid 20 slipped to six after seven weeks in the chart with Do They Know It's Christmas.

The other two new entries are Dana Rayne with Object of My Desire at seven and Kasabian who are at number eight with Cut Off.

Making up the top 10 are Boulevard of Broken Dreams by Green Day, down three places to number nine, and Out of Touch by Uniting Nations, also down three places to 10.

In the album charts, the Scissor Sisters went to number one with their self-titled release, knocking Green Day's American Idiot to third place.

The Killers' album Hot Fuss moved up three to number two.
Source

Top five singles
Elvis Presley - Jailhouse Rock
Steve Brookstein - Against All Odds
Iron Maiden - The Number Of The Beast
Erasure - Breathe
Scissor Sisters - Filthy/Gorgeous

The Official Top 40 Single Chart
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 557 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Bram

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 01:39 pm
Truly fascinating, isn't it, how Elvis still reins as The King in our hearts! Smile

I am not sure why people buy singles, when we have had the albums "#1 Hits" and "2nd to None", but hey, this is Elvis and there is none like him.

I saw recently a video called "Almost Elvis" about Elvis impersonators in Las Vegas. It is said there is one teenager who knew all 739 officially released songs of Elvis by heart! Now, I have read about 600 songs, but 739!!! Do we have a listing of all those somewhere?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 01:45 pm
I only buy albums myself. But I wish Elvis complete success in the 21st Century.
0 Replies