that barely suppressed male animal seemed to peer out

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2017 06:20 am
Scorsoni walked me out toward the front, his big body exuding heat. He held the door open for me,his left arm extending up along the doorframe. Again, that barely suppressed male animal seemed to peer out through his eyes. "Good luck," he said. "I suspect you won't turn up much."

Hi, would anyone explain the words in blue? What does that mean? Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 525 • Replies: 7
No top replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2017 07:45 am
@iclearwater,
An animal is not a human, if a human is described as such they are most probably brutal and bestial. This is probably the case with Scorsoni who doesn't try that hard to act in a civilised manner.

That's based on the brief excerpt you've given us, context is everything and without more context it's just a best guess.
dalehileman

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2017 09:38 am
@izzythepush,
Iz I gotta give you & Cen just a lotta credit
0 Replies

iclearwater

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2017 05:12 pm
@izzythepush,
Thank you for your help.Smile
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2017 04:52 am
@iclearwater,
iclearwater wrote:
Again, that barely suppressed male animal seemed to peer out through his eyes.

"Again, that" signals that this has been mentioned before. When we say an animal seems to "peer out of someone's eyes" we are saying that a buried or hidden animal-like aspect of that person's personality is being revealed or suggested by the expression on the person's face, especially the look in their eyes. Animal comparisons are often used to suggest (often bad) aspects of personality, e.g. wolf (cruelty, fierceness) snake, rat (untrustworthiness, deceit). If I said that a person's inner snake seemed to peer out of his eyes, I mean that his expression seemed to reveal his hidden untrustworthy or deceitful nature.
iclearwater

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2017 07:25 pm
@centrox,
I like your interpretation on the phrase. Is such an expression usual in English literally or verbally?
centrox

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2017 01:42 am
@iclearwater,
iclearwater wrote:
Is such an expression usual in English literally or verbally?

Most native speakers would understand such an expression even if they had never seen it before.
iclearwater

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2017 01:48 am
@centrox,
Thank you very much for your help all the time.
0 Replies