DVD audo connection to reciever

fcastro

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 01:10 pm
My older Sony A/V Receiver has inputs specifically for dolby digital 5.1 audio (front-right, front-left, center and subwoofer). My DVD player has component A/V outputs and a digital audio output (coax). How do I connect the two in order to take advantage of dolby digital 5.1? Don't get me wrong, I've connected the two together using composite A/V cables and it works fine, but I feel I'm missing something by not taking advantage of my recevier's 5.1 feature. Your time and response is greatly appreciated.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,300 • Replies: 12
No top replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 01:39 pm
You know, I'm betting those inputs are actually outputs. The whole purpose of a 5.1 A/V tuner is to be able to split the digital signal into the 6 output channels. What is the model number of your receiver? It should at least have a coaxial connection for digital audio input.
0 Replies

fcastro

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 01:56 pm
cjhsa wrote:
You know, I'm betting those inputs are actually outputs. The whole purpose of a 5.1 A/V tuner is to be able to split the digital signal into the 6 output channels. What is the model number of your receiver? It should at least have a coaxial connection for digital audio input.

Sorry, I'm not at home and can't remember my receiver model number. From what I recall in looking at the owner's manual last night, the hook up example shown from a DVD assumes that the DVD does not have a built in decoder, therefore, it requests that I hook up the DVD to a decoder and then the decoder is connected to the recevier.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 01:57 pm
The receiver should be the decoder.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 01:58 pm
Post the model number when you can and I'll try to help more.
0 Replies

fcastro

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 02:04 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Post the model number when you can and I'll try to help more.

I will, thank you for your time.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 02:06 pm
No problem. Welcome to A2K!
0 Replies

fcastro

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 04:12 pm
cjhsa wrote:
No problem. Welcome to A2K!

My Sony recevier is Model STR-DE625
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 04:30 pm
OK, sorry to tell you this, but your receiver doesn't have a build in decoder. See page 8:

http://www.docs.sony.com/release/STRDE625.PDF

I think the best thing to do is bite the bullet and buy a new receiver. Things have changed a lot in the last couple of years.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 04:45 pm
Your receiver doesn't have it's own internal AC-3 decoder (and no digital coax or optical input). AC-3 (aka "Dolby Digital DTS") is a newer standard for 5.1 (5 channels + sub-woofer) digital audio. (FWIW, AC-3 isn't even a fully approved standard yet so "AC-3" devices aren't even all compatible with each other.)

You can get the same effect by using the L/R audio jacks, 5 speakers and the Dolby ProLogic setting (which is 5 channel audio). Dolby ProLogic on your receiver is set by using the "wide" surround mode.

You could spend the $150 or so on an external AC-3 5.1 decoder, you could buy a DVD player that has it's own built in decoder (some models do have this.) or you can replace your receiver to one that has Dolby DTS Decoding but I doubt you'd notice any difference in a typical living room if you don't have a sub-woofer.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 04:49 pm
Looking further at the manual, fishin' is correct about getting 5.1 sound by simply using the L-R audio inputs and the DBS setting (why they use that acronym I'm really not sure).
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 04:58 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Looking further at the manual, fishin' is correct about getting 5.1 sound by simply using the L-R audio inputs and the DBS setting (why they use that acronym I'm really not sure).

I think they are referring to a connection of a "Direct Broadcast System" (i.e. DirectTV) to the receiver.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 05:26 pm
Man, I'm really confused today. Sorry.
0 Replies