DVD Zones

Bram

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 06:24 pm
Can someone please help me deciphering about the DVD zones?

If I have a Zone 2 DVD (for Europe), for example, can I watch it on a DVD drive in a computer anywhere in the world (more specifically in a Zone 1, being US and Canada)? I mean, are the zones only different for DVD machines (to watch on TV) and not on computers?

Why are there different zones like that?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,844 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 09:37 pm
Re: DVD Zones
Bram wrote:
I mean, are the zones only different for DVD machines (to watch on TV) and not on computers?

No, DVD drives for computers have zones as well.

Quote:
Why are there different zones like that?

To combat piracy.
0 Replies

Bram

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 05:14 pm
Thanks Craven.

Now that means I can't watch a Zone 2 DVD without also buying the DVD machine that allows you to watch it. How frustrating! Sad
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 05:22 pm
Check http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks.php for hacks on your current DVD player. You might be able to disable the region checking or reset it's preprogrammed zone.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 05:25 pm
Get out! Do those really work? Do you think there's any chance of really f***ing up your DVD player by doing that?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 05:48 pm
They do work! The chips inside most DVD players are the same for every machine of the same model. The factory just programs them according to where they are being sent to be sold. The "hacks" are just resetting the factory settings and can be changed back just as easily.

Because of the mass production concept, the cheapest machines tend to be the most "hackable". Wink
0 Replies